2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

U-Joint issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Kaldir
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U-Joint issue

I seem to keep replacing my front U-Joints once a year. The passenger side has been done twice in the past year and a half. And I did the front drive side one last summer, and now there is play in the joint again. It might be because I am using NAPA U-Joints but I wanted to get your guy's opinions.

My alignment in the front has been off since I bought the truck. Would a bad alignment cause the front U-Joints to keep braking?

Old 09-06-2011, 08:09 PM
jmhai
Veteran

Who makes the NAPA joints... I would of tried a different manufacture after they broke the first time.. I could see a bad alignment wearing out ball joints or tie rod ends but not u joints...

Old 09-06-2011, 08:37 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

alignment has no affect on u-joints.

even the cheapest chinese should last more than a year.
what's happening with yours ?
are the seals failing?
do you have rust inside ?
are you filling the cup with grease at install?
i'd guess poor seals, road salt, and not enough grease.

Precision makes a very heavy duty greasable. the number might? be 377, but i'm not sure. about $30 at napa, or about $20 from amazon or rockauto. you have to use a grease needle to insert grease, as they don't have a regular zerk, but a little mini-thing.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:23 PM
Kaldir
Veteran

I wouldn't think the alignment would cause this ether, just the only thing I could think of off the top of my head. I never added my own grease to the joints as they come per-greased. NAPA makes the joints, not sure if some one else does and they just throw their name on it.

I think this time when I do the job I am going to get the higher end joints and one's with a grease fitting. Not sure what fails first on them, but from the looks of it, they dry out.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:32 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

on new u-joints, i remove the caps and fill them full of grease. it seems to me like they don't have enough in them. plus it helps hold the needles in place.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Kaldir
Veteran

Going to have to give that a try when I do the driver side again. And hopefully get some joints with grease fittings at the parts store.

That way I can grease them up every oil change.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:30 PM
rocky_mtn_ram
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure he's talking ball joints. I've never seen passenger or driver side u-joints. So in that case, yes alignment could have an adverse affect on ball joints and or tie rod ends. Just my $.02...

Old 09-08-2011, 07:42 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^ As you have a 4x4 you also have driver and pass side cross joints on the front diff, there inside the knuckle behind the wheel. napa cross joints are what I also use, they are just a cheap u joint nothing special; mine last about the same time.

Last edited by merc225hp; 09-08-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Kaldir
Veteran

Originally Posted by merc225hp
^^^ As you have a 4x4 you also have driver and pass side cross joints on the front diff, there inside the knuckle behind the wheel. napa cross joints are what I also use, they are just a cheap u joint nothing special; mine last about the same time.

Really you only get the same time out of it? I'm gonna more expensive joints when I do them again. I have NAPA U-Joints for my drive shaft, and they came with grease fittings.

Thanks for the input.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:23 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes thats it, I prefer to take my front axles out to service the the joint, you need to have it in your hands to tell whats going on with it. At $16 a u- joint it's not worth greasing them I just install new ones.

Quick Reply: U-Joint issue