2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

gearing confusion

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 01:20 AM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also as far as the losing top end goes, it's like you've been jogging ten miles after eating a sack full of mcdoubles then try to sprint the next mile lol. It's like the motor runs out of steam. That's what mine feels like anyway.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

The 'runs out of steam at higher rpm' things is more about the intake, than the gears. Sure, with lower (numerically) gears, the engine is turning fewer R's for the same speed. But, these are trucks, not dragsters.

On the 95 truck, speedo calibration is easy, just replace the speedometer driven gear in the sensor on the output shaft. They run about 20 to 30 bucks each. There are calculators online that will tell you which one you need.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:53 PM
95Erokram
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The 'runs out of steam at higher rpm' things is more about the intake, than the gears. Sure, with lower (numerically) gears, the engine is turning fewer R's for the same speed. But, these are trucks, not dragsters.

On the 95 truck, speedo calibration is easy, just replace the speedometer driven gear in the sensor on the output shaft. They run about 20 to 30 bucks each. There are calculators online that will tell you which one you need.
okay I gotcha now. thats why after market cams with power ratings of say 1500-6500 rpm states they like lower gears and headers. theyre designed to power through the longer gearing. and ive got to hold off now. my passenger side of my motor is making a knocking noise. like an injector. i dont think its any topend part like a lifter or so. guessing best way to test that is to unplug each injector and see if the knocking dissapates. what could be knocking anyway. theres no metallic sound to it or mechanical. its weird. nothing like a lifter. if it persists i may post a vid with sound.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Got a miss on one or more cylinders? Could be an exhaust leak, or a plug wire grounding out.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:33 PM
95Erokram
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Got a miss on one or more cylinders? Could be an exhaust leak, or a plug wire grounding out.
dang every potion is plyable for me at the moment. recently did cap and rotor and had a heck of a time. it could be off. one sparkplug got threaded at an angle due to a spark plug not coming out with headers in the way. (got screwed with 01 dakota headers) how owuld i fix or identify a miss. i hear the 318 has been known to run on 7 cylinders sometimes. one thing gets fixed.. another brakes... more determined than ever to drop some dough on the hs rr's but i keep having to fix things lol. last was the tensioner pulley and serpantine belt. heres the twist. no loss in power.. no noticeable loss in mpg. i ran some lucas injector cleaner through and it only done this for a couple days.if i get on the throttle it still throws me back. ill check exhaust first. it might be my header collector as it sounds like its in the back of the motor.. or i blew the back part of the gasket off the header. im going with copper gaskets next time i swear.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If you have a miss, it will make itself known right about 45 MPH when you drop into fourth, and the TCC engages, the truck will feel like it is trying to shake itself apart. If you aren't getting that, then it's not a miss. You could dump a bit of oil down the TB while the engine is running to find any exhaust leaks.....

Injectors do tick a bit. If it is excessively loud, prolly not an injector..... how's oil pressure?

Old 09-22-2011, 11:40 PM
95Erokram
Veteran

oil pressure was fine. it turned out being to plug wires arcing between one another as they were crossed and to close to each other. weird noise but it wasent firing right. thanks for the help though!

Quick Reply: gearing confusion