2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rebuild or get a new truck?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 05:32 PM
blacksheep612
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild or get a new truck?

Ive got a 97 ram, 5.2L 4x4.. With 212K, I really like it but not sure if it would be worth it to rebuild it? The body is super clean, and no issues with anything going out yet.. Anyone have any experince with these trucks as to how long they last?.(motor, tranny, ect..) I kind of want to beef up th motor, after market cam, headers, pistons that kind of stuff.

Thanks for any help!!

Old 09-15-2011, 05:57 PM
sam_priem
Veteran

As for how long they last:
i got a 96 ram 1500 with 240,000 ish on it. it runs like a top. i had to do the plenum repair and a new fuel pressure regualtor but thats about the most of it.
As for rebuilding it:
thats more your choice. if you have the money go for it

Old 09-15-2011, 06:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Should you decide to rebuild it, know in advance that you will NEVER get the money you invest out of it.

On the flip side of that, if it is in good condition, runs nice, shifts nice, drives nice, etc..... Swapping it for something you know nothing about is a bad plan.

If you like the truck, fix it up.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:13 PM
chadhager03
Captain

Personally I love desiel engines So I regret not saving up for a cummins (even though they are more than twice what I paid with at least 80,000 more miles). I think you'll get more out of a diesel, but I do love my truck and I love the room in the engine compartment. I also like the ease to change stuff and the help on this forum.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:31 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

These engines pretty much run till the frame rusts ot from under it. If you have that emotional attachment to the truck, I would keep it.

Hell I would keep it anyway. These trucks are pretty easy to work on(for the most part) and you always know what you have.

New trucks are cool too though.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:50 PM
Rob59
Rookie

Depends on you. The truck will last, but things will need more and more repair the older it gets. The motor should pretty much last forever, the trans is what i'm assuming you are getting rebuilt. A good rebuild and fixing some of the known problems with it (such as the check valve) and that should last you a long time too. But i'm sure you will go through quite a few front end parts especially if you are taking it off road which from your sig i'm guessing you do, the dash will probably crack, the evaporator will probably leak, the brake line by the gas tank will probably rust out, etc. Guess what i'm saying is, it's a high mileage, mid 90's truck, things will break here and there. As long as you are ok with fixing things on occasion and don't mind not having a newer truck, keep it. Like most of us on here, there is probably some emotional attachment too. Personally, i probably won't be getting rid of my truck any time soon.

Quick Reply: Rebuild or get a new truck?