2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

underdrive pulley help and question

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 05:31 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am waiting to install my UD pulley once I get an E fan(s)

Old 09-21-2011, 08:18 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Uuhhhhh... I's confuzzled. If, say, the crank pulley is 10% smaller than stock, and the alternator pulley is likewise 10% smaller than stock, then the ratio is the same as stock... and the alternator will whirl around at the same speed as it did when there were stock pulleys in both locations. So, uh, where's the accelerated wear coming from?

Ain't nuthin' wrong with kicking the alternator speed up a few percent, anyway. They'll be able to make more energy at idle, and will run cooler which is very good news for the rectifier diodes.
Doh, that's right. The alt probably wouldn't be pushed any harder, forgot about it starting in an under driven state in the first place.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:39 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK I know I am bringing this back up from the dead but I need some help. I don't know if any of you guys remember when I put my under-drive kit on my truck it is a 30% crank, and 25% alt. I have a 120 amp alt on my truck if I idle my truck with the blower on my alt will not keep up. Why? Does anyone have the under-drives on there truck without charging problems? If I put a 250amp alt on with the under-drives will it keep up? Any help would be great.

Quick Reply: underdrive pulley help and question