2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

underdrive pulley help and question

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 01:32 PM
smaxwell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default underdrive pulley help and question

im wanting to order a hughes 30% underdrive pulley. but i was curious as i should do just the crank or the crank and alternator, because i have 2 efans and want the alternator to keep up. so and input would be appreciated. i didnt know if doing the alternator pulley would actually make is charge less at idle

Old 09-19-2011, 02:36 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

E fans + underdrive pulley = charging problems. You need to ask hughes what the alt pulley is for. If its bigger than stock, it will further under feed the systems. If its smaller than stock, it will drive the alt harder at a given rpm and recover some of the loss at the expense of wearing the alt out prematurely.

A larger alt can make up a deficit, but make sure you have a fuse to handle it and you get the correct pulley for your system.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:47 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What year and engine size are you? Because that makes a BIG difference in the assembly.

For example: 2001 5.9 has a ONE PIECE crank pulley and balancer combo. If you want to run a crank pulley, you need to get ANOTHER bolt on balancer for an earlier model to bolt onto the pulley before installation.

If you have a 5.2, then it is a simple bolt on. If it is a 5.9, check to see if your pulley is a one or two piece. One piece is simple.

Also, does your truck have the off road package? Because they came with 136A alternators. I have that package, so I can run E-fans and an underdrive pulley.

If not, you can get the overdrive alt pulley.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:48 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
E fans + underdrive pulley = charging problems. You need to ask hughes what the alt pulley is for. If its bigger than stock, it will further under feed the systems. If its smaller than stock, it will drive the alt harder at a given rpm and recover some of the loss at the expense of wearing the alt out prematurely.

A larger alt can make up a deficit, but make sure you have a fuse to handle it and you get the correct pulley for your system.
Are you sure about that? Underdrive crank pulleys are smaller than stock.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
Are you sure about that? Underdrive crank pulleys are smaller than stock.
He's referring to the alternator pulley. Smaller will increase speed, larger will decrease speed.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:41 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
He's referring to the alternator pulley. Smaller will increase speed, larger will decrease speed.
ah yeah. I got mixed up and forgot the rule didn't apply to the other pulleys. Just the crank pulley is the one you want to be smaller.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:44 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Side question:
If you owned a 3 piece pulley set (Alt, Water, Crank) would it be worth it for me to get a NEW water pump (Non pressed on pulley) to gain a bit extra from slowing down the water pump? I know people will say cooling issues, but sometimes underdriving the water pump actually helps because the fluid sits in the rad a bit longer. However, my truck runs super cool. Always has. Even before the 180* stat. Unless I am using full AC and it is 100* out.

Also, take into account finding the size of belt that you would need if you UDd the crank AND water, but not alt.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

underdriving the waterpump (even more) would net you a bit of power, whether you would notice it or not? Good question. Its a centrifugal pump..... not like you are using it to develop a lotta pressure in the system...... Give it a shot, see what happens.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:35 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It'll also under drive the fan clutch as well, be careful.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:26 PM
smaxwell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my truck is a 97 ram 1500 4x4 sport with a 5.9l .. i was just kinda curious if i should run both alt and crank pully or just run crank so i wouldnt screw with the charging.

Quick Reply: underdrive pulley help and question