2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bad pcv?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 12:44 AM
Tazman89
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad pcv?

Hey guys! I had a question I was looking in my intake to see if i had any oil in there because I dont know if the plenum on my truck has ever been fixed. I didnt have a magnet on hand so I just got a flashlight and when I looked inside there wasnt a lot of oil in there it just looked kind of greasy, but the butterfly valves are very dirty. I was just wonedering if it could be the pcv valve? I just really need to find out for sure tomorrow with a magnet but I just wanted to see what you guys might think it could be. the truck runs ok and im pretty sure the cat isnt clogged so im hoping its just the pcv. what do you guys think?

Thanks
Tazman89

Old 09-20-2011, 01:43 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...um-thread.html
^Read that.
Yes, the entire thread.

It could be a bad pcv, clean the TB, SeaFoam the engine and replace the PCV with a Mopar unit from the dealer. See what happens.

Read the thread I posted first.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:14 AM
98dodgeman1974
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second dodge dude94 post.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:29 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

A PCV valve removes vapor caused by blow by from the rings to cylinder wear. Basically every motor has some blow by because there are notches in the rings for installation and also wear scratches. So when the engine detonates there is a lot of force going down on the piston. Well some of this force blows past the rings into the crank case thus the definition of blow by.

Now the blow by enters the crank case and into the oil and air around the crank shaft. The air inside is now greater then the air outside. Now this can cause lots of issues, however a huge issue is the content of the oil. When this vapor is in the oil it can make it acidic and eat engine parts. So what do we do with it? We install a PCV (Positive Crank Case Ventilation) valve to remove the vapor and keep a vacuum on the internals of the motor. However you need fresh air to enter the engine to flush out the vapor, so on the other side is a breather so air travels from breather side of the motor to the other side and out to be burned back into the engine intake.

Why am I talking about this you ask?
Now during this process as the extreme hot vapor leaves during blow by it super heats the oil turning some of that oil into a vapor. Because the engine is hot (and even hotter under load) the vapor gets sucked into the PCV valve then enters the intake manifold. Because oil vapor is heavier then air it falls and creates a light coating on the intake walls. As described this is normal. There are oils out there like Mobil One Fully Synthetic High Mileage that uses more additives to help vaporization in worn motors with extra need for improvers.

A blown Plentum gasket lets regular oil into the intake and pools down onto the belly pan until enough air comes by to grab it and burn it during combustion. So there is the difference and thus what you should be looking for in diagnosing a blown Plentum gasket.

In yours, it sounds like it is normal.