2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sucking sound indicitive of plenum issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 12:12 PM
DoubleL24
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check where ur air fliter housing connects to throttle body there should be a gasket there, my truck sounded like it was sucking a lot of air than noticed there was no seal on throttle body.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleL24
Check where ur air fliter housing connects to throttle body there should be a gasket there, my truck sounded like it was sucking a lot of air than noticed there was no seal on throttle body.
What does the capitol city of ancient Sumer have to do with his truck?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ur

Old 10-03-2011, 12:41 PM
John D in CT
Veteran

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
What does the capitol city of ancient Sumer have to do with his truck?
zman, is that you?

And while Ur can rightly be called an important city-state throughout the long history of Sumer, I have to take issue with its being referred to as the capitol.

Sumer (from Akkadian Šumeru, approximately "land of the eccentric freaks"), [l hereby propose that California be renamed "Sumer"], has a very long history, dating back to around the 27th century BC. It was only from the period ca. 2047–1940 BC that Ur could rightly be called the "capitol", as it was indeed at that time the seat of power throught the empire.

Even at that, as is common knowledge, the region was already becoming more Semitic than Sumerian, with the rise in power of the Akkadian speaking Semites and the influx of waves of Semitic Martu (Amorites) who were later to found the Babylonian Empire.

I hope this sheds some light on your engine problem.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Gary-L
Legend

^^ Ya got me! I meant "capitAl".

Old 10-03-2011, 03:57 PM
kadetklapp
Veteran

Originally Posted by DoubleL24
So I should have a separate gasket/seal between where the air box mounts to the top of the throttle body? If so, I don't' have it.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:05 PM
chadhager03
Captain

Yep, well I think so, mine has one.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:14 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Fel Pro #60038

Old 10-03-2011, 04:43 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by kadetklapp
So I should have a separate gasket/seal between where the air box mounts to the top of the throttle body? If so, I don't' have it.
Yes there should be one there.

Just for your consideration: I can't say that what you're hearing is normal, but these engines do draw like Tommy Chong when you ask them to work harder than light cruising, with or without the factory air hat. Mine's downright rude with the K&N FIPK-II on it, and that's without any leakage or any other indications of malfunction.

If you can, you might want to get up close and personal with another small block Magnum to compare noises.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:43 AM
kadetklapp
Veteran

Gonna give the gasket a try. I'm betting that helps at least somewhat.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:34 PM
sprntpshr
Professional

[quote= Since he worked on it, the engine makes a very prominent "sucking" noise under load.[/quote]

I had a similar sucking noise under the hood of my 99 1500 after some work, turned out to be the purge solenoid diaphram had rotted thru. It is on the passenger side fender near the rad support.

Noise got worse under load, fuel mileage poor, power low. Swapped one from a 90's Caravan I had laying around, same pt # on it. All good now.

sprntpshr

Quick Reply: Sucking sound indicitive of plenum issues?