2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sucking sound indicitive of plenum issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 12:00 AM
iacordero
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this same problem for a while, and some times it would even whine as if the belt were slipping. I found, by looking through a parts catalog, that I was missing a felt gasket that goes between the air cleaner box and the throttle body. Also, make sure to check that the ring/brace that holds the air box to the TB is on tight and lined up correctly. It solved the issue for me. Hope it works for you too!

Old 10-05-2011, 12:56 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a sucking sound before I replaced (or should I say added) the little o-ring on the TB from the airbox and replaced the belt.
I think my belt was slipping a little and the TB was sucking in air it wasn't supposed to. No whistling noise now.
The only sucking noise I get now is when I have the intake tube off the airbox. That is the good sound.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:42 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My Stearing pump makes what sounds like a vacume/sucking noise at idle. Just trowing it out there.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:03 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

jondakotaguy, check to make sure your PSpump is full of fluid and if it then that sound means your pump is on its way out, and if its really low filling it up should make the sound go away

Old 10-06-2011, 06:25 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by sprntpshr
I had a similar sucking noise under the hood of my 99 1500 after some work, turned out to be the purge solenoid diaphram had rotted thru. It is on the passenger side fender near the rad support.

Noise got worse under load, fuel mileage poor, power low. Swapped one from a 90's Caravan I had laying around, same pt # on it. All good now.

sprntpshr
Sorry I'm an Idiot and didn't read your post.. FAIL ME

Last edited by jondakotaguy; 10-07-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:29 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by BackwoodsRam
jondakotaguy, check to make sure your PSpump is full of fluid and if it then that sound means your pump is on its way out, and if its really low filling it up should make the sound go away

Sorry dont mean to thread jack; just was throwing it out as an idea.. but yeah; I hope not; I've already got enough $$ in this' its full; what about tyranny fluid you know the older pumps on Ford we always used tranny fluid; I wonder what in the hell and how it would make a sound like a vacuum leak I know its coming from there cus i can wave my hand and if my hand is infront it blocks the sound.. and remove i can hear again.. I dont seem to have any other problems; when i increase RPM the sound seems to go away pretty much.. steering is ok.. could the cooler thats attached to the block there right besides be glogged or anything? Can i run some cleaner through it like Mystry oil with out damaging rings or the pump?

Old 10-07-2011, 08:21 AM
kadetklapp
Veteran

Still no luck. New gasket did nothing. In fact, at the same time I did that, I installed new plugs and a new PCV valve. It's running better, and now the sucking noise is way louder.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:37 PM
sprntpshr
Professional

Originally Posted by kadetklapp
Still no luck. New gasket did nothing. In fact, at the same time I did that, I installed new plugs and a new PCV valve. It's running better, and now the sucking noise is way louder.

Under the dumb question file...Are all the hoses and lines connected back where they are supposed to go? I at times have put hoses and lines back where they were only to discover that it was wrong before I touched it.

One of my other trucks with an open element air cleaner (ie Summit), when you hit the gas the throttle body sounds like a massive vacc truck hose...no problems with it just the way it is.

sprntpshr

Last edited by sprntpshr; 10-07-2011 at 06:48 PM. Reason: spelling and typin'
Old 10-07-2011, 06:45 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kadetklapp
You sure you have the air cleaner housing seated properly before you tightened the clamp?

Old 10-07-2011, 06:56 PM
sprntpshr
Professional

[quote=jondakotaguy;2614080] what about tyranny fluid you know the older pumps on Ford we always used tranny fluid; quote]

My Dodges do not like Dextron or Ford ATF, they howl until they get ATF 4, the Mobil sync stuff..@ $41 for 4 lts. They have expensive tastes..
Hijack over.

sprntpshr

Quick Reply: Sucking sound indicitive of plenum issues?