2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Update: 2001 multiple misfires

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 05:59 PM
JasonCNY
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update: 2001 multiple misfires

Well, I made it back from VA., with one major issue. While filling the gas tank, it spilled gas all over the ground underneath my truck. I cleaned up the mess, and let it drain until it stopped leaking, and had no further problems. The truck ran great all the way down and back, loaded right up, including trailer. It did show codes for evap leak, and multiple random misfires throughout the trip.
I dropped my truck off at the dealer today, and told him he needs to figure out the problem, or I want my money back. He told me I will need to go to the attorney general for that, but said he will keep trying to fix the truck. He called me later, and said he was replacing the filler neck, sending unit, fuel pump, and also replacing the exhaust system.
I guess we will see how this turns out..?? I left this morning pretty ticked off, but if he keeps putting new parts on the truck, I can't really complain.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:49 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You really should have just posted this in the original thread. But anyway, hope you get it fixed this time.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:42 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 09-20-2011, 08:27 PM
JasonCNY
Amateur

Sorry, I actually thought about it, if I knew this was going to drag out , I would have kept one long post going...just in case someone has the same problem after sooo much trouble shooting. When all is said and done, I will list all the work done, and what actually fixed the random misfires. Thanks for the help.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:24 PM
JasonCNY
Amateur

Here is an update and a question...Up until last week, I have still been dealing with random misfires. While cleaning the fuel rail, the mechanic noticed a cracked pcv hose. Since being replaced, The truck has not misfired. It has only been a week, but it never even went close to that long before.
Is it possible such a simple thing could cause such consistant misfiring ?? The shop has been great about trying to fix the problem, but I'm afraid if it doesn't happen soon, but ISN"T fixed, they will tell me to take a hike next time I call...LOL Thanks for all the help

Old 10-17-2011, 06:34 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonCNY
While cleaning the fuel rail, the mechanic noticed a cracked pcv hose. Since being replaced, The truck has not misfired. It has only been a week, but it never even went close to that long before.
With them cleaning out the fuel rails did they also clean the injectors? and what did they find in the fuel rails ? When I changed out my injectors this past weekend I found all kinds of junk in them, A pluged or partial pluged injector will give a miss. I hope they found it for you.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:43 PM
JasonCNY
Amateur

They cleaned the injectors a few weeks ago. He said the fuel rail was not corroded or gunked up.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:48 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Did the new exhaust system include new o2's and a new cat?

Old 10-17-2011, 07:08 PM
John D in CT
Veteran

Originally Posted by JasonCNY
Up until last week, I have still been dealing with random misfires. While cleaning the fuel rail, the mechanic noticed a cracked pcv hose. Since being replaced, The truck has not misfired. It has only been a week, but it never even went close to that long before.
Is it possible such a simple thing could cause such consistant misfiring ??
I was all set to say "I doubt it", but then I googled "PCV misfire" and got all kinds of hits. Now that I think about it, it makes a lot of sense. That's just a big ol' vacuum leak. Seems to me it would fool the computer into delivering too little fuel, like when there's a leak downstream from a MAF sensor in vehicles that have them.

"An EGR valve that is stuck open at idle can have the same effect as a vacuum leak. So too can the wrong PCV valve (one that flows too much air for the application), or a loose PCV hose. The rough idle in these cases is caused by "lean misfire." The fuel mixture is too lean to ignite reliably so it often misfires and fails to ignite at all. Lean misfire will show up as elevated hydrocarbon (HC) readings in the exhaust, enough, in fact, to cause a vehicle to fail an emissions test".

http://www.aa1car.com/library/vacleak.htm

I have a strong feeling that was your problem.

"Did the new exhaust system include new o2's and a new cat?"

And did you put in a new crank sensor?

(Never mind; inside joke).

Last edited by John D in CT; 10-17-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:53 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by John D in CT
I was all set to say "I doubt it", but then I googled "PCV misfire" and got all kinds of hits. Now that I think about it, it makes a lot of sense. That's just a big ol' vacuum leak. Seems to me it would fool the computer into delivering too little fuel, like when there's a leak downstream from a MAF sensor in vehicles that have them.

"An EGR valve that is stuck open at idle can have the same effect as a vacuum leak. So too can the wrong PCV valve (one that flows too much air for the application), or a loose PCV hose. The rough idle in these cases is caused by "lean misfire." The fuel mixture is too lean to ignite reliably so it often misfires and fails to ignite at all. Lean misfire will show up as elevated hydrocarbon (HC) readings in the exhaust, enough, in fact, to cause a vehicle to fail an emissions test".

http://www.aa1car.com/library/vacleak.htm

I have a strong feeling that was your problem.

"Did the new exhaust system include new o2's and a new cat?"

And did you put in a new crank sensor?

(Never mind; inside joke).

LOL, I know what I do first. I'm just afraid to say it now.

Quick Reply: Update: 2001 multiple misfires