2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Water pump question

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 12:37 PM
nmason
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump question

Hey again,

my water pump is failing. carrying a lot of water in back so i can make the commute each day. huge leak. im looking at replacements and they talk of a threaded or non threaded heater connector. i know where that hose goes to my intake its non threaded, so im assuming thats what i need, just looking to make sure.

checked my repair book and the FAQ, neither seemed to mention it

Old 09-21-2011, 12:53 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

One of your heater hoses goes to the intake manifold(pass side) the other one goes to the water pump on the drivers side, that pipe is pushed into the water pump and uses an o ring for sealing. This could be for the bypass hose fitting some are threaded into the pump others are cast into the pump. Bypass hose is under the A/C pump, under the big bracket.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:48 PM
nmason
Veteran

well i ordered one. it should be the right one. we will see. thanks

Old 09-21-2011, 02:56 PM
LcknLoad

Just did my water pump last week on my 2001 Ram 1500. I bought an aftermarket pumpmp for $80. and a new stem for heater core hose. THe stem slides into the water pump as the last person posted. Its held in by the rubber oring. HOWEVER, it did not fit. I took it back and tried it on a different pump and it didn't work. I also tryed different stems and none of them fit the water pumps. I had to go to dodge and buy the stem. It cost me $22 bucks. It fit perfect. Also, after I set it in place and had pump mounted, I put some silicone around base of stem. So far so good. No leaks.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:38 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by merc225hp
One of your heater hoses goes to the intake manifold(pass side) the other one goes to the water pump on the drivers side, that pipe is pushed into the water pump and uses an o ring for sealing. This could be for the bypass hose fitting some are threaded into the pump others are cast into the pump. Bypass hose is under the A/C pump, under the big bracket.

It is the 6" or 7" tubing that is in the way if you hve to replace the ground cable from the battery. AZ has on from HELP, but it looks too small in diameter and appears it would not seal. zGetting this from the dealer is the best bet.

Quick Reply: Water pump question