2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gutless on the hills at freeway speed, is it normal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 10:11 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you release the parking brake? (Don't laugh, this actually happened to me once while pulling the trailer). I sure felt like a dumb-*** after I realized that.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:41 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

before anything, that air-gap needs a tune, dude..

finding the sweet spot for that thing is easier with lower gears, as you'll land higher in the RPM range which best suites it's design..

for a band-aid type fix, try NOT using o/d.. you'll run faster engine speeds, but your load will drop.. for those moments when you require more pull (grade, towing, hauling), if you're running with o/d off, you'll be closer to the RPM range that suites the Air Gap- and that thing will take off like a raped ape instead of lugging/bogging until it reaches that range.. that lug/bog eats your mileage alive, and it causes that power suffrage you're describing until the engine catches up to the air/fuel that's being thrown at it..

speaking of which, running a 180* stat w/o a tune is hurting you too.. you're dumping more fuel than you need to be most likely..

fix your cat.. replace it with a high flow.. while you're in there, cut out the factory Y and replace it with a Magna-Flow Y, or a Jegs off-road Y.. I'll dig a pic up and show you why in a second.. THAT elimination will boast huge gains.. especially with the a/g..

don't worry about a 52mm TB.. that is ALL hype unless you live at the top end of the RPM range, which very few of us do.. all it does, is dump more air with less mash on the loud pedal.. hence, the throttle response everyone yaps about.. it does nothing for you lower in the ranges most of us operate in while driving somewhat legally..

edited to add picture: this is what the difference is between OE Y and a magna Y.. you be the judge...
Name:  Y-PipeCrossSection.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  62.1 KB

so
- fix your cat, replace the Y pipe
- get a tuner (preferably and SCT from Hemifever, make sure he knows your running an a/g)
- re-gear that critter to at least 4.10:1, but since you're already spending- go to 4.56:1..
- if you're REALLY interested in getting some juice out of that truck, bump cams to a RV cam if you run mostly lower in the RPM range, or no more than a 206x which pushes you to a mid range.. compliment this with better heads, and bolt on some headers- you'll be set.

edited once again to add: go for that RV cam if you don't re-gear... but I highly rec you re-gear.. if you DO re-gear, and still want some more POP from that rig, bump up to the 206 cam.. if cams are too much trouble right now, bolt in some 1.7:1 rocker rollers (~$350) to do somewhat of the same thing.. still- that RV or 206 WITH 1.7's? OhhhhhhhhhhhMammmmmmaa...

Last edited by drewactual; 09-23-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:07 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If u have death flash and those mods it will run like a dog for sure . Get a sct

Old 09-23-2011, 09:25 PM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
+1 on checking the cat. I think the owners manual states to turn OD off when going up hills. Of course the main problem is your gears. And you are not the first person I've seen complain about power after installing the Air Gap. More mods are needed. Like better flowing exhaust, gears, cam and heads maybe, to bring it all together. And a good tuner like SCT.
Just rebuilt the rear end last year with LSD but kept it stock. Damn, Damn, Double Damn! I'll just use the O/D off button for now. Leaning toward exhaust. Do I need headers too, or can I keep the stock ones?

Old 09-23-2011, 09:35 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion

you need to get the sct , due that you have a 01 you came factory with the death flash . they retard your timing to elimnate ping from the plenum..

it will feel like a new truck with a can tune ! and with the mods you have already you will gain a lil more umps

i had superchips before the sct, and the superchips felt stock compaired to the sct and i thought the superchips did something lol. the sct even better for the trans because of the smoother shifts

Old 09-23-2011, 10:03 PM
beeker
Captain

Originally Posted by drewactual
before anything, that air-gap needs a tune, dude..

finding the sweet spot for that thing is easier with lower gears, as you'll land higher in the RPM range which best suites it's design..

for a band-aid type fix, try NOT using o/d.. you'll run faster engine speeds, but your load will drop.. for those moments when you require more pull (grade, towing, hauling), if you're running with o/d off, you'll be closer to the RPM range that suites the Air Gap- and that thing will take off like a raped ape instead of lugging/bogging until it reaches that range.. that lug/bog eats your mileage alive, and it causes that power suffrage you're describing until the engine catches up to the air/fuel that's being thrown at it..

speaking of which, running a 180* stat w/o a tune is hurting you too.. you're dumping more fuel than you need to be most likely..

fix your cat.. replace it with a high flow.. while you're in there, cut out the factory Y and replace it with a Magna-Flow Y, or a Jegs off-road Y.. I'll dig a pic up and show you why in a second.. THAT elimination will boast huge gains.. especially with the a/g..

don't worry about a 52mm TB.. that is ALL hype unless you live at the top end of the RPM range, which very few of us do.. all it does, is dump more air with less mash on the loud pedal.. hence, the throttle response everyone yaps about.. it does nothing for you lower in the ranges most of us operate in while driving somewhat legally..

edited to add picture: this is what the difference is between OE Y and a magna Y.. you be the judge...

so
- fix your cat, replace the Y pipe
- get a tuner (preferably and SCT from Hemifever, make sure he knows your running an a/g)
- re-gear that critter to at least 4.10:1, but since you're already spending- go to 4.56:1..
- if you're REALLY interested in getting some juice out of that truck, bump cams to a RV cam if you run mostly lower in the RPM range, or no more than a 206x which pushes you to a mid range.. compliment this with better heads, and bolt on some headers- you'll be set.

edited once again to add: go for that RV cam if you don't re-gear... but I highly rec you re-gear.. if you DO re-gear, and still want some more POP from that rig, bump up to the 206 cam.. if cams are too much trouble right now, bolt in some 1.7:1 rocker rollers (~$350) to do somewhat of the same thing.. still- that RV or 206 WITH 1.7's? OhhhhhhhhhhhMammmmmmaa...
I'm planning on doing the 1.7's and the exhaust with the Y pipe you recommend,(do I need headers too) and the SCT. Do I have to pay for a new custom tune every time I change something? That's why I don't have it yet. I don't plan on lifting or changing the stock tire size. I think the cams would be nice but are more work than I want to do at this point. How hard is it?
Also regearing changes the final rpm at freeway speed right? What would the 4.56:1 gears put my 60mph rpm at? Right now it is a little too low. Just put new stock gears in last year, I'll redo if it really makes a big difference. Also should I use Super Unleaded in the tank with the Airgap?
The S/U seemed like worse performance when i tried it, but I don't have a tune yet. Thanks for all the help

Old 09-23-2011, 10:08 PM
beeker
Captain

Originally Posted by lastrights
If u have death flash and those mods it will run like a dog for sure . Get a sct
Yep, I do have death flash, good call! Will be ordering SCT soon.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:16 PM
beeker
Captain

Originally Posted by lastrights
you need to get the sct , due that you have a 01 you came factory with the death flash . they retard your timing to elimnate ping from the plenum..

it will feel like a new truck with a can tune ! and with the mods you have already you will gain a lil more umps

i had superchips before the sct, and the superchips felt stock compaired to the sct and i thought the superchips did something lol. the sct even better for the trans because of the smoother shifts
I had a superchips before the Airgap to fix the shift points but wasn't impressed so I returned it. Looking forward to the SCT!

Old 09-23-2011, 10:28 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't need to change the tune to custom unless you get different heads and a cam. If you get heads with different valves and combustion chambers, you should get a custom tune.

Also, if you get any different injectors other than stock, you will need a custom tune.
With your bolt ons, you won't need a custom tune.

As for hitting hills and slowing down, that happens with 6000 lb trucks, this is not a camaro. With all my mods, my truck still does that, but you need to get OUT OF OVERDRIVE when you are climbing a hill. Plus, our trucks have the aerodynamics of a brick wall.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:40 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion

The 52 throttle body was my first mod , its a mice mod for off the line throttle response . Fastman is the way to go . He removes the airhorns and opens it up . Sct is 265 worth every cent .

Quick Reply: Gutless on the hills at freeway speed, is it normal?