2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tailpipe Sucks Dollar Bill In

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 10:45 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Nickerson
Okay, my bad Zman...I took the TB off today for a thorough cleaning and checked the back of my intake, it seems that a little puddle of oil is hiding back there. The leak can't be that big because I'm not losing oil very fast; I've only driven, more or less, 350 miles since my oil change and I haven't seen much of a noticeable drop in oil level. However, before my oil change it seemed I was definitely losing a decent amount of oil weekly.

But anyways, there's oil in there so either way it's definitely leaking. I'm getting the hughes kit soon and hopefully I'll get some help changing the old one out sometime soon.

Thanks for the input.

I bought a plenum plate for $49.99 on e-bay. Fel Pro gasket set form local parts store.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:55 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

U change your iac ? It's a cheap fix

Old 09-26-2011, 11:15 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't changed the iac but when I took it out it looked clean and in good condition (and I cleaned the iac and the iac port with TB cleaner), not to say that it definitely works good bcuz I don't know.

But either way, there's still oil in the intake. If there's still a problem at idle I'll get a new iac.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:28 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Make sure you use new, non-Mopar/Chrysler bolts for the plenum plate. You cannot reuse the bolts from the factory, they are one-time-use bolts.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:40 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonw
Make sure you use new, non-Mopar/Chrysler bolts for the plenum plate. You cannot reuse the bolts from the factory, they are one-time-use bolts.

The plenum plate I bought on e-bay included pan bolts. Make sure you clean the bolt holes out before putting back together.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:22 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure u get a new timing chain and coolant bypass hose

Old 09-27-2011, 06:47 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonw
Yup, I'll use the TTY bolts with the hughes plate/gasket + the 180* thermostat. And I will probably be getting a hi flow cat/y pipe now since the old one's probably gone, as well as a pre o2.

Make sure u get a new timing chain and coolant bypass hose
I'll do the timing chain if its out of timing and/or loose. Do I really need a new bypass hose when my plenum goes? I don't see the connection there.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:01 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Nickerson
Yup, I'll use the TTY bolts with the hughes plate/gasket + the 180* thermostat. And I will probably be getting a hi flow cat/y pipe now since the old one's probably gone, as well as a pre o2.

I'll do the timing chain if its out of timing and/or loose. Do I really need a new bypass hose when my plenum goes? I don't see the connection there.

Because the hose is impossible to get to with out tearing the whole thing apart again.

Last edited by zman17; 09-27-2011 at 07:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-27-2011, 07:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

The bypass hose goes to the manifold, it is buried underneath a couple brackets, and the A/C compressor.... they don't always want to come off in one piece.... and you will be pissed if you put it all back together, and have a coolant leak there. Its a couple bucks for the hose, and is just cheap insurance.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:23 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I also highly suggest you get a Haynes manual at least.

Quick Reply: Tailpipe Sucks Dollar Bill In