2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

360 Rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 03:19 PM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed on the pictures....Take more than you need, and make sure you actually have good pics before you take everything apart. Don't ask me how I know.

Bag and label everything, every nut/bolt....Everything.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:19 PM
jlowmiller
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adobedude
Agreed on the pictures....Take more than you need, and make sure you actually have good pics before you take everything apart. Don't ask me how I know.

Bag and label everything, every nut/bolt....Everything.
I'm tempted to ask.

When I did my wife's Camry engine, I didn't bag or label anything. Everything went back together pretty well. Had a couple spare parts left, nothing too bad though.

Was tempted to buy something like this and then I would just have it and be able to document EVERYTHING I do.

http://www.amazon.com/Contour-1300-C...uct/B002QGSYZ4

... well.. maybe not .. "everything".

Last edited by jlowmiller; 09-25-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:15 PM
Echosider
Amateur

Definitely wouldn't hurt. Especially if you do this sort of thing alot.

Here's twenty dollars well spent that is just as good or better than bagging everything. http://www.lowes.com:80/pd_124553-94...&stop_mobi=yes. Just label each one.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:35 PM
jlowmiller
Rookie

I've got a new Walker Cat ready to go in. I also need a new muffler, (old one had completely rusted itself through). Probably will need new o2 sensors. This pig has gotten expensive, if I do go with the new heads from Clearwater, then that will be even more money.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:53 PM
jlowmiller
Rookie

Originally Posted by Echosider
I've just recently done this. you can attach a pickup block to the top of the intake(where the throttle body is mounted or to the front of the heads and back as well. I did it intake coming out, heads going in. I had the block hot tanked and cleaned up the pistons and rods myself. Got a set of iron ram heads from Hughes Engines. 953 delivered with one piece valves and springs. PM me and I can give you alot more insight into what you can do and some work arounds too. Or just ask here. I dropped about 3k into mine, but I'm planning on keeping my truck for some time.
Echo, how much did it run you to get the block hot tanked? Did you just dip the rod's and pistons yourself? Carb cleaner in a parts bath I'm assuming?

Old 09-26-2011, 01:06 AM
Echosider
Amateur

I had 130 in tanking, cam bearings, freeze plugs, and a light hone. For the rods and pistons, I parts washed the rods and pistons, then used carb cleaner on the heavy build up in the ring grooves, oil holes and top. A vinyl brush and precision screw driver work wonders. Just be gentle and don't score the top of the piston or the grooves.

Quick Reply: 360 Rebuild?