2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering shaft length with 3" body lift

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 11:34 PM
adwood19
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Steering shaft length with 3" body lift

Hello all,

I've recently purchased a truck (97 Ram 1500 4x4 5.9l) from my sister as a big favor to help her out in some tough times... and also to make my boat pulling a little easier on me. I've already done a little work to it and thought that I had it ready for the road until I got up on the highway. The steering had a ton of play in it and it was hard to keep it between the lines. It didn't take long to find the issue- it seems to be where the steering shaft (intermediate shaft?) connects to the steering box. There's A LOT of play there and it's easy to shake it around by hand.

I haven't yet removed the shaft, but I'm thinking that the shaft and the steering box may need to be replaced. There's about a half inch of the shaft (the part that's coming out of the steering box) that's visible and it looks to me at first glance like there are some teeth that are pretty well chewed up. And since there is so much of it visible, I'm thinking that the intermediate shaft may not be the correct length. The truck does have what looks to be a 3" body lift, so correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't that mean there is a longer intermediate shaft?

I plan on removing the intermediate shaft soon and then deciding if I need to replace the steering box. But how can I find out which intermediate shaft to purchase that will fit? Is it ok that it doesn't fit snug up against the steering box?

Btw.. it's my first Dodge, and my first post here as well, but I've been reading quite a bit already- thanks to all of you that have already unknowingly helped me out!

Old 09-28-2011, 01:49 PM
John D in CT
Veteran

That sounds like a very dangerous situation. On my '94 B2500, that connection is a very secure spline and clamp that shouldn't have any play in in whatsover. If you can move yours around as easily as you described, it might just be ready to let go altogether and leave you with absolutely no steering control.

I think you need to disassemble it right away and see what's going on. If the splines on the input shaft of the steering gear are indeed shot, then you need to fix it immediately, which would probably be best accomplished by getting a good used box. The used one should be fine since I think your problem is very unusual; I don't think that connection usually wears at all. it might have loosened up at some points, allowing the splines to get damaged.

Please fix it right away, or don't drive the truck.

Lastly, it seems to me that the steering box and steering linkage (between steering wheel and steering box) will stay in the same orientation no matter how high the truck is lifted, so I don't see any need to change shaft lengths.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:21 PM
adwood19

Thanks John,

Luckily I'm not having to rely on the truck for transportation, so I've just got it parked in the garage until it's repaired. I'll be removing the box and shaft this weekend so that I can get a better idea of what I have to work with. Since it doesn't sound like I'm going to have to search for an aftermarket or custom shaft, the whole process should be much easier, and hopefully cheaper. I've found a shaft for a reasonable cost, but the search is still on for the steering box. I think I should be able to find one at a local salvage yard.

Thanks for the info, it's much appreciated!

Allen

Old 09-29-2011, 10:19 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by adwood19
Update-

I removed the intermediate shaft and found the whole problem... it's not long enough. Luckily the teeth of the steering box were not chewed up as I thought, but the whole problem seems to be that the shaft wasn't long enough to sit all the way down on the steering box. I was able to find one online, but when I called them to check it out, I found that it's not long enough either.

Any clues of where I may be able to find one that fits?

Thanks in advance...
Is the slip joint seized?

Old 09-29-2011, 10:29 AM
adwood19

Update-

I removed the intermediate shaft and found the whole problem... it's not long enough. Luckily the teeth of the steering box were not chewed up as I thought, but the whole problem seems to be that the shaft wasn't long enough to sit all the way down on the steering box. I was able to find one online, but when I called them to check it out, I found that it's not long enough either.

Any clues of where I may be able to find one that fits?

Thanks in advance...

Old 09-29-2011, 10:49 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Ok, just wondering. Mine seized on my 98.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:54 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

I just looked on Top Gunz Customs website. And all 3" body lifts come with a steering extension.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:58 AM
adwood19

It doesn't seem to be seized at all... it moves back and forth quite freely. It just needs another half inch of stretching and I'd be happy!

Old 09-29-2011, 11:15 AM
adwood19

I just noticed the same thing from a couple of other sites. Now if I can just find an extension! Thanks for your help!

Old 09-29-2011, 11:20 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Quick Reply: Steering shaft length with 3" body lift