2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Body Trim and Panels

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 07:46 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Body Trim and Panels

I haven't seen much on the forum realted to trim and interior panels (other than cracked dash issues).

I had to replace the door cable on the rear door and I broke a coule pieces that hold on the three metal clips at the back edge on the upper half of the door.

I installed new post type clips, but cannot figure a way to reinstall these metal clips. Has anyone ever had this experience, and if so, how did you resolve it? If not, I am open to ideas. I have considered inserting small wooden blocks beteen the ribs and fiberglass in place to allow for a sheet metal screw through the metal clip, but not decided.

Factory assembly appears to be plastic coming through the opening in the clip and melt the ends down.

Name:  Ramdoorpanelclip2.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  51.0 KB

Name:  Ramdoorpanelclip1.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  47.5 KB

Along with engine, steering and transmission work, I also have all around body and interior work to do. Gotta change this ugly duckling into the best looking and running 2nd gen in town.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

I think the wooden blocks, fiberglass, and sheet metal screws sounds like a good idea.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:45 PM
gdstock
Legend

I may try that with the blocks. Gotta try something before shelling out for new door panel.

Also ahve a couple other (couple is an understatement) issues.

Name:  Ramlowerfender.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  88.4 KB

I have weld in lower panels arriving tomorrow from C2C Fabrication (best prices I could find). Both sides same condition.

Also< I am looking at doing away with the cheap look of "craptastic" plastic that Dodge engineers appear to love. Anyone know how these attach? Am I going to find holes for clips under this plastic trim or a cavity. Hoping for small holes for clips that can be filled easily.

Name:  Ramtailgate.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  70.5 KB

Still undecided on what I am going to do for bumper replacement. Maybe roll pan on back.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:15 PM
tatitup8
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used gorilla glue for the clips, worked like a champ xD

Old 09-28-2011, 10:21 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by tatitup8
I used gorilla glue for the clips, worked like a champ xD

Did you just gorilla glue on the clip and what little plastic comes in contact with it? I have some of that here. Can try it first, and if it doesn't hold, I can always try something else. Just don't want it to be a constant rattle.

Thanks.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:14 AM
tatitup8
Veteran

Yep. Just stuck that puppy together, and well, here she sits, still holdin together!

Old 09-29-2011, 12:52 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A piece of sheet metal with a slit cut up the middle to fit over the one plastic part, rivet it to the plastic, put your panel clip in place and then bend the top the the piece you made over to hold the clip in place.

Last edited by merc225hp; 09-29-2011 at 12:54 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:52 AM
autolockguy13
Professional

i took an old soldering iron and melted the **** out of it, i might have even drilled a cpl more holes in the metal clips to have more "melting points" lol

mine were on the a pillar plastics though it shouldnt matter to much

Old 09-29-2011, 02:23 AM
TheycallmeLaramie
Veteran

HAHA I broke the same thing. Apparently Dodge had plastic slits that went up they put the piece on and then melted the plastic. I just used JB-Welt to fix mine.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:47 PM
gdstock
Legend

Also I am looking at doing away with the cheap look of "craptastic" plastic that Dodge engineers appear to love. Anyone know how these attach? Am I going to find holes for clips under this plastic trim or a cavity. Hoping for small holes for clips that can be filled easily.

Name:  Ramtailgate.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  70.5 KB

Still undecided on what I am going to do for bumper replacement. Maybe roll pan on back.[/quote]

Anyone have any ideas on tailgait issue? What will I find underneath? Kinda like to know BEFORE I break something getting it off (although that has never stopped me before....)

Repaired overhead console this moring. Parts of switches for map lights missing and sunglasses holder door replacement. Had to buy wiring harness for map light, parts manual shows several numbers but illustration reflect console with compass and temp. Also played with Snap On MTG 2500 on Ram last night. Slowly but surely.......things are coming along.

Quick Reply: Body Trim and Panels