2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How do you burp cooling system?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 10:28 PM
FreeDodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you burp cooling system?

Hey guys,

So this stupid radiator flush has been taking me all afternoon/night. Now it is dark and I am working by flash light and I want to get my coolant in and everything working ready so I can shower and go to bed before work.

I was finishing flushing out my system when I noticed while my truck was running both radiator hoses were collapsed flat. I have searched multiple threads and see the advice to "burp" the system but I guess I don't know how to do that.

Can't find it in my Haynes or FSM. I am sorry I am a total noob.

I bought and put on new hoses and radiator cap today.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:31 PM
TheycallmeLaramie
Veteran

Jack up the front end, open radiator cap, turn truck on heat full blast, let it run and add coolant when the tank lowers. I also squeeze my two radiator hoses a bit while im doing this to make sure I can hear any air. Im sure HeyYou or Zman will tell ya something better, but this works for me.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:32 PM
rumble_truck
Veteran

I solved this problem on mine, 1/32nd drillbit and drill a hole on the little skirt/rim of the tstat. After that, no problems.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:39 PM
FreeDodge

So you're running the truck with the radiator cap off or just open? Then you fill the reservoir when it goes down? Is this still while the truck is running the the cap open?

Old 09-28-2011, 10:48 PM
TheycallmeLaramie
Veteran

Yeah I leave the cap off, yes while it is still running. Rumble truck is right you can drill a small hole in your t-stat to fix this, but that requires more work and mess. Just open radiator cap run truck full heat untill your gauge is up to 180-190 give your radiator hoses a coouple light squeezes and add coolant as the level goes down and it is filling air voids

Old 09-28-2011, 10:54 PM
rocky_mtn_ram
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always just filled it up and the expansion tank too, then put the caps on...start it up and let it run until it starts to get to normal op. temp then shut it off and let it sit for 10 minutes, take the cap off and refill. Do it again and let it warm back up and shut it off and check it again after 10 minutes or so. Worked for me everytime. I even drained the block completely last time. My Audi has a cool little valve for bleeding the coolant system as did my old Honda.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:27 PM
FreeDodge

Ok, well it doesn't seem to be collapsing anymore but now it won't seem to suck up all the coolant. The reservoir and the radiator are full but I have only put about 4 qts of coolant and 3 3/4 water. I let it run, with the heater on for awhile and drove it around the block a bit but nothing. Guess I will be done for now and keep the water/coolant in my truck and keep an eye on it.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:30 PM
rocky_mtn_ram
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I'm understanding you correctly, isn't that 1-3/4 gallons? That seems quite a bit if you didn't drain the block. Maybe its just full....lol

Old 09-28-2011, 11:35 PM
FreeDodge

I didn't drain the block but I thought I ran it pretty dry. Guess your right ugh.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:06 AM
Joey Buentello
Veteran

I broke down and bought a coolant burping funnel. $25 bucks, it attaches to the radiator. You fill it with coolant and the weight of the coolant in the funnel burps the air out of the system. Made by Lisle.

Quick Reply: How do you burp cooling system?