2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Halo headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 11:37 PM
Coryh4225
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Halo headlight problem

Ok I purchased a used set of the halo head lights for my 2001 dodge ram pickup non-sport and installed them. Everything installed easy but I'm having problems with the high beams. First off I have the harness that goes from one plug to two lights ( high and low). When I have the high beam light bulbs plugged in my high beam indicator on the dash stays lit at all time and if I switch to high beam the lights get really dim. But when I unplug my high beam headlights the dash light works fine. The light bulbs for the high beams are 9005s if that makes any difference. I can't figure out how to upload my pictures to here from my phone but I did find this link and it will kinda give you some insight on what I have.
Btw I checked the wires and they appear to be wired correctly but maybe not. There are two black wires in the middle and a red wire on one side, and a blue one on the other on the main harness that plugs into the factory plug. Any help would be appreciated.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...need-help.html

Old 09-28-2011, 11:56 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check each wire to bulb socket. The one that is common to both is the ground. Usually red is hot and black is gound - but two ground doesn't fit. The link you posted has good diagrams. I would recomend using relays as Jason mentioned. I just rebuilt an older RV, updating electical and electronics. I used relays for nearly everything to minimize overloading switches and improve contol capabilities. I would not use wire smaller that 14 gauge, and tend to use 12 ga.

Quick Reply: Halo headlight problem