2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Vacuum line changeout

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 02:03 AM
Josh_Putman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum line changeout

I am contemplating changing ALL of my vacuum lines on my truck. Mainly because it is a 99, and I have only owned it for about a year. I know that stuff can deteriorate over time, and I want to practice a little preventive maintenance.

What I am trying to determine is how many different sizes of lines there are, and a rough idea of the lengths of each size I would need to replace them all. I have done a little searching, but with no luck.

Also, if this takes me a few weeks to do, if there is a certain priority I should give to the order of replacement.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Also, in regards to the various check valves, would dealership replacements be best, or would ones from the parts store suffice?

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:13 AM
TheycallmeLaramie
Veteran

Josh, I just did this. There are two basic different types. The solid hard plastic vacuum lines and Tees and the bigger ones coming off the air intake. The air intake ones just take a picture and gently take each one off bring it into an auto zone and buy a bag of the tubing. When your looking at your engine on the left side (passenger) there are small black plastic vacuum lines and check valves. I bought check valve replacements at the dealer and all the plastic lines and fittings at pep boys. All of this stuff is cheap and easy. Best way is to park there bring 50 bucks, pull one piece off at a time go get the replacement replace and get the next one. Just saying cause i bought stuff returned bought and returned a couple times lol. Remember the air flow in check valves goes towards the air intake. Good luck man!

Old 09-29-2011, 11:08 AM
Josh_Putman
Professional

Thanks for the info Laramie. It is much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Vacuum line changeout