2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wet Passenger Floorboard

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by COW III
I guess it could possibly be that someone is playing a prank on him. Lowering the coolant level and pouring liquid on the passenger side floor.

Do you keep your doors locked at night?

You could be on to something, possibly teenagers pouring water inside of the truck or some homeless person with nothing better to do that make a mess and steal the engine coolant.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:25 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably a jealous neighbor with a chevy.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

I hear there is a great deal of demand on the black market for antifreeze.....

Old 09-30-2011, 12:13 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, windows stayed locked at night and during the day unless I'm using the truck.

The carpet doesn't smell too much like antifreeze, has a smell, very difficult to describe as I've not really been able to figure out like what yet myself. Engine is hot so I can't check at the moment but I don't think there is much anitfreeze left in the radiator. Pretty much just water.

When I add coolant I top off the radiator and then the coolant reservoir.

I did this and then the two days later noticed some of the paper trash on the passenger floorboard was soaked. And the coolant reservoir is empty once again.

The heater still does work too as it does put out heat.

Last edited by stewie01; 09-30-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:21 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Smells? That could be lots of things -- roadkill, a leftover bean burrito from Taco bell, work boots, you name it.

Coolant is low in the radiator? Maybe the radiator has a hole in it or the water pump is getting ready to blow.

Now might be a good time to trade it in and make it someone else's problem.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:09 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

A leak onto the passenger floorboard is gonna be one of four things and three of them ain't so bad.

If it's water (soak some up in a white towel, you'll see the color right away), it's either the A/C drain is clogged or the sun-roof drain is clogged (if you have a sunroof) or there is a bad door seal on the passenger side.

If you determine it's coolant, the it's gonna be heater core and yep, it's a bi*ch, dash has to come out...

Old 09-30-2011, 03:52 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Could be the infamous third brake light leaking too. But If coolant or water is being lost, I'd stick with the heater core leak.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:40 PM
dlyter09
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is your heater core all I can say is have fun. Make sure you do a search in the DIY section to find a step by step on how to do it. Dont do what I did and jump in without the first clue as to what in the hell your doing. Took me a full day with very few breaks to get it done, that was on my 01. Did one in my 2000 and it took me about 4 hours cause i actually took the time to search for the right way to do it. But like everyone else said just search in the DIY section.. Is your windsheild and windows getting a flim on it? Steering wheel can get a sticky feeling to from the anti freeze.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:25 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well all of the antifreeze in the radiator is gone I think, I never see or smell any when I add water, when I do add I normally only add about 1/4 gallon or so, I'm not having to completely fill it back up. 3

I have the dark grey (whatever color is it) floor carpet and that section up to the frame for the seat is stained, the fluid has a greasy/slimy feel, but a non identifiable smell..... To me anyways.

And as far as something up in the dash leaking onto the floorboard, I had the heater CORE in an old S-10 Blazer go bad and it leaked true GREEN antifreeze all in the passenger floorboard, so that is why I'm on the bad heater core train. Only then I had no heat and still do have heat on the Ram. If that makes any difference.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:36 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by stewie01
Well all of the antifreeze in the radiator is gone I think, I never see or smell any when I add water, when I do add I normally only add about 1/4 gallon or so, I'm not having to completely fill it back up. 3

I have the dark grey (whatever color is it) floor carpet and that section up to the frame for the seat is stained, the fluid has a greasy/slimy feel, but a non identifiable smell..... To me anyways.

And as far as something up in the dash leaking onto the floorboard, I had the heater CORE in an old S-10 Blazer go bad and it leaked true GREEN antifreeze all in the passenger floorboard, so that is why I'm on the bad heater core train. Only then I had no heat and still do have heat on the Ram. If that makes any difference.
How can it smell when all your adding is water? Which BTW is NOT good at all. You need to do some testing to confirm you have a coolant leak (heater core or not). And like previously stated, there are numerous things can cause the wet carpet. So get off the computer and check out the things that have been suggested. Instead of waiting for some miracle cure, that's not going to happen.

Quick Reply: Wet Passenger Floorboard