2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Parts soaking...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 01:01 AM
John D in CT
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right off the bat, I found these on the Hartford CT Craigslist:

http://hartford.craigslist.org/tls/2525057782.html
http://nwct.craigslist.org/tls/2593651537.html
http://westernmass.craigslist.org/tls/2604021269.html

$30 for a kinda crappy one, $50 for one a lot like mine, and $75 for one that looks to have a recirculating pump and nozzle.

Hope you can find one not far from you.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:04 AM
jlowmiller
Rookie

Originally Posted by John D in CT
Right off the bat, I found these on the Hartford CT Craigslist:

http://hartford.craigslist.org/tls/2525057782.html
http://nwct.craigslist.org/tls/2593651537.html
http://westernmass.craigslist.org/tls/2604021269.html

$30 for a kinda crappy one, $50 for one a lot like mine, and $75 for one that looks to have a recirculating pump and nozzle.

Hope you can find one not far from you.
None of the ones I was able to find are that nice.

Guess I'll go back to the original plan of paint thinner in a plastic tub with a lid. For $5, I'll just throw it out when I'm done and pour the thinner back in. I wonder how many uses I could get out of it.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:05 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jlowmiller
Any slick way of telling what kind of plastic it is?

Polyethelene will usually be marked with "HDPE" I ofter use an open top oil drain pan from auto supply. HDPE cannot be glued, as there is no solvent that can fuse it.

The Craigslist idea sounds good to me. I may look for ne of those in my area!

Old 10-01-2011, 01:08 AM
jlowmiller
Rookie

Originally Posted by gdstock
Polyethelene will usually be marked with "HDPE" I ofter use an open top oil drain pan from auto supply. HDPE cannot be glued, as there is no solvent that can fuse it.

The Craigslist idea sounds good to me. I may look for ne of those in my area!
Excellent good to know. I'm thinking of soaking my old heads and possibly the intake plenum, so I suppose I'll need something a bit bigger than an oil drain pan; though that would work marvelous for the throttle body, and etc.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:23 AM
John D in CT
Veteran

Man, I just hate the idea of using an open plastic container to hold that amount of flammable stuff for days on end. One more thing you might try with Craigslist is a wanted ad. I do it all the time with good results. For every guy actively advertising a parts washer he doesn't really need, there might be 50 guys who have one they wouldn't mind selling if they see your ad. I hope you give that a shot; I bet someone would call you this weekend.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:30 AM
gdstock
Legend

I only soak and wash while I am working. Don'tleave anything for more than maybe overnight on a weekend. Ususally wash as tearing down, then may reclean parts as reassemling. You are right, open flammables is not a good idea.\\(especially with grandkids around)

Old 10-01-2011, 01:39 AM
jlowmiller
Rookie

What if it had a loose fitting lid?

Old 10-01-2011, 01:50 AM
John D in CT
Veteran

Originally Posted by jlowmiller
What if it had a loose fitting lid?
You're just way, way better off with a metal bin designed for the purpose. My washer has had 5-10 gallons of paint thinner in it continually for the last ten years, and with the self-closing lid it's very, very safe and you can soak things for as long as you want.

PM me if you need any help with CL - I use it all the time, and you really might be pleasantly surprised at the results you get with a wanted ad. One of the added bonuses of getting response to a wanted ad is that you are the one and only buyer they have at the moment, so you're in the driver's seat.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:14 AM
gdstock
Legend

I just located several north of Dallas/Ft Worth. Seems to be quite a few all around the DFW area. About 100 miles from here, but on the way to where my kids and Dad live.

May call tomorrow and run up there next weekend. If any of these are still available, they may be a little more willing to bargain. Been wanting to drive the Dodge to see how it runs. Doing steering rebuild this weekend and installing kegger mod during the week next week. (besides, this project truck - my wife's idea - has provide several side benefits like new tools!)

Old 10-01-2011, 11:56 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to use the solvent tank in the company Arms room for cleaning some parts. Perk of being in the Army.

Quick Reply: Parts soaking...