2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Another 46re problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 08:44 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bill022572
band adjustment was way out but has been adjusted (the only thing is that when it is adjusted properly the adjustment screw is barely sticking out of the locknut).

Rebuild time, plain and simple. Not good to hear I know.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:34 PM
bill022572
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning on a rebuild soon anyway - I guess at this point I'm just curious what could be causing my particular problems now. I have some experience with auto trans rebuilding and know that generally when you completely disassemble and overhaul a unit and clean everything and install new parts it will work properly after that. The trick is being able to diagnose the problem before you take it apart. Besides - if I could find a way or fix to nurse it along for awhile - I would. While I agree that obviously the trans is worn internally (especially at 179k miles) - this seems more of a control issue (valve body or servo or something else) than a wear issue causing the immediate problem. It just gets me that there is no slipping while driving - I think that my main issue is that second gear is just plain missing - can't figure why.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:43 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know about nursing along. These have the potential to die when it is least convenient. As far as diagnosing, it it appearant that the front band is nearly gone at a minimum. Chek out MonteC's transmission thread in the DIY section. Lots of good info there.

As far as a control issue, it is possible, but at 173k, anything else could go wrong at any time. I would also recommend hardeing transmission if my plans include keeping the truck for a long time. I believe the additional cost is money well spent.

Quick Reply: Another 46re problem