2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tuners ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 11:02 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikentiff
I was talking about if I just got a performance PCM would I still be able to use 87 octane ?
No, the mopar performance PCM is 92 octane and runs about 385 bucks from the dealer. I had one and sold it for 50 bucks.

Do not try to get a used one otherwise you will run into problems. Model year, engine, tranny, 4x4, rear drive ratio, emissions (cali/federal) all comes into effect. You could buy one and it will NOT work with your truck.

Just spend 120 less bucks and get the SCT tuner from hemifever. it comes with three tunes for 87/91/93 octane. Only 265 bucks.

And you can't tune anything yourself unless you buy the "professional tuning package" from hemifever and make tunes on your laptop. It is not easy and they call it "professional" for a reason. You run the potential of detonating your engine. I leave that liability to hemifever.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:04 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Originally Posted by jasonw
Not trying to be a jerk here, but this is the best way to find information about tuners.
Here is where I side with the newbies. Tuner and SCT are in A LOT of signatures. So you will get a plethora of threads.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:27 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
Here is where I side with the newbies. Tuner and SCT are in A LOT of signatures. So you will get a plethora of threads.
Again, I am not ragging on anyone, but that is where you read through as many threads as you can stand. Research, research, research. And I could be mistaken, but I don't think the search feature searches signatures.

Even if it does, you can glance through the page and usually tell by titles what results are relevant to your search and which aren't.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:09 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Technically, you can do a search for EVERYTHING. But then it would be pretty quiet around here.

Besides, a lot of times, people ask questions, and i want to know the answer as well. So I do the research and help.

I guess i have a soft spot for newbs. BTW, i know you weren;t ragging. I just make exceptions for tuners because of the search "glitch."

Sometimes you actually need some knowledge to do the research. Like if you were reaearching tuners then find you that you have a 1995!!!! :P

Speaking of which, I have not heard B&G being talked about much. only to say "You have a 95, you need to contact B&G."

I was a member when B&G was pretty much the ONLY option you had other than the mopar PCM.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:57 AM
blackbeasst
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jasonw
Not trying to be a jerk here, but this is the best way to find information about tuners.
while true, this can also be a hindrance. for example i searched tuner and got a lot of results. one of which is below which has nothing to do with tuners. it just so happens that you said the word tuner and it picked it up.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...sion-info.html

Old 10-13-2011, 10:01 AM
blackbeasst
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by blackbeasst; 10-13-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:55 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Technically, you can do a search for EVERYTHING. But then it would be pretty quiet around here.

Besides, a lot of times, people ask questions, and i want to know the answer as well. So I do the research and help.

I guess i have a soft spot for newbs. BTW, i know you weren;t ragging. I just make exceptions for tuners because of the search "glitch."

Sometimes you actually need some knowledge to do the research. Like if you were reaearching tuners then find you that you have a 1995!!!! :P

Speaking of which, I have not heard B&G being talked about much. only to say "You have a 95, you need to contact B&G."

I was a member when B&G was pretty much the ONLY option you had other than the mopar PCM.

One more off topic....then...

When I was researching tuners, I googled, searched DF, and read everything I could...and still ws not sure. I had a ton of data, but not enough information to make a buy decision. My next step was to PM a couple of DF memebrs that indicated in their signature that they had tuned by a couple of manufacturers, and ask them sopme specific questions. Since I will not use my 2wd Ram for offroading, mudding, or anything of that nature and would therefore do not foresee changing tire sizes, I made my decision to buy form hemifever.

Long story longer.....deciding on a tuner (or anything else for that matter) is process. Searching is ideal to gain enough info to ask thoughful questions that will produce meaningful answers - especially when related to something that seems to be as much a preference to most users that have decided to go the tuning route.

Last edited by gdstock; 10-13-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:13 PM
TheycallmeLaramie
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 everything gdstock said. I went through the same process, even went through like 20 pms with Hemifever.

Off the topic- The search here pisses me off sometimes because I want to search for PCM, ABS, SCT, RWD etc, and it wont search 3 letters or lower, which is funny with a million 3 letter acronyms. Can we lower that restriction to two letters??? Just my two cents.

Im with CPTAFW too I like to help newbs, its what gets them started on this form like Zman and HeyYou did for me. Granted some newbs have less common sense then others, but thats just the world for ya. Doctors vs. Engineers vs. Waiters. Only thing I cant STAND is NO PUNCTUATION, and horrible spelling. Especially when there is a spell correction thing here!

Old 10-13-2011, 01:24 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell me more... I have a 95 and i just thought i was screwed.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:22 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just put in quotation marks so you can search for "PCM" or "ABS"

Quick Reply: Tuners ???