2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 10:54 PM
Josheis
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Fog Lights

Ok so I was helping my father in law clean out his moms garage. And among all the massive piles of well, i'll say heirlooms lol. He found a unopened package of aftermarket fog lights and gave them to me. It has a relay, switch, mounting hardware, and wiring. Best part is that when I finally found the manufacture date it said Federal Mogul ©1990 lol. So i got brand new 21 year old fogs. Question I got is it says to hook the power for the switch up to the headlight low or high positive lead. That would mean I could only use fogs with headlights yes? I would like the fogs on with low and high beams as well. They are yellow though don't know how bright they'll be but hey they were free. And any mounting ideas would be great. Thanks ahead of time everyone.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:57 PM
Josheis
Professional

Alright made a photobucket account real quick heres a link to pics of fog lights.
http://s1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd467/Josheis/

Old 10-05-2011, 11:03 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would not hook up to headlight switch. Don't know if it can handle the additional amperage. I would utilize a relay and a separate switch. I would also check motor vehicle code for your area, as it is illegal in some states to run fog lights with high beam on. If this is the case, a realy to kill the FL circuit when on high beam would decrease the chances of getting ticket due to forgetting to turn off when on HB.

Make sure you fuse the circuit as well.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:07 PM
Josheis
Professional

Kit comes with its own fuse and relay. The only thing that splices is power for the switch its self. And where I live they don't care. I used to have a golf that I drove with fogs on all the time as when you let the brake down they illuminate with the headlights. So would the switch be ok hooked with the headlamp wiring in the truck as the fogs have there own relay and fuse and are grounded to frame and hooked to battery for power in the diagram.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:22 PM
gdstock
Legend

Connecting the relay to the headlight circuit would probably be OK. Relay draw patial amp, so neglible load on switch. It would be a better installation if you ground directly to battery or where battery cround connects to frame.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:26 PM
Josheis
Professional

Alright I can ground to battery, basically the diagram that came with the fogs looks like this. Each fog grounds to the point where you mount it, power leads each have one pin on the relay, another pin on the relay is ground, another is power, and the final one leads to the switch. The switch then grounds inside the cab and needs power i'm assuming for illumination? But the fuse provided is shown between the relay and the battery. Any of this sound wrong?

Old 10-05-2011, 11:30 PM
gdstock
Legend

The realy has a ground for the coil circuit as well as a hot (+12v). This is the control circuit. It will also have a ground and a hot for the power circuit, which provides power to the device (fog lights). It sounds like the drawing uses the swich to connect/disconnect the ground to the control circuit.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:33 PM
Josheis
Professional

So the way they have it set up is safe then yes? Any idea on a mounting location?

Old 10-06-2011, 12:37 AM
wyomingdodge7
Veteran

Depending on the size, you could mount them in the stock locations if you don't have them already, and for the switch, you could connect it to the parking light wire so they are on any time the parking lights are.. Just my .02

Old 10-06-2011, 07:25 AM
Josheis
Professional

That would work thanks guys ill hook it to the running lights and the stock fogs are round these are rectangular and much bigger I can probably make them fit though.

Quick Reply: Fog Lights