2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Used computers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 12:02 PM
slt82
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used computers?

Need a computer for a 2000 ram van 2500 5.9, I have been checking junk yards and ebay for a used computer, I found a few with p/n 56040403AB but my computer ends in AE, but I cannot find any. The AB computers are also off 2000 2500 5.9 ram vans, will they work?

Old 10-06-2011, 12:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Last two number MIGHT just be revisions in programming....... What makes you think your current PCM is dead?

Welcome to DF!

Old 10-06-2011, 12:05 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by slt82
Need a computer for a 2000 ram van 2500 5.9, I have been checking junk yards and ebay for a used computer, I found a few with p/n 56040403AB but my computer ends in AE, but I cannot find any. The AB computers are also off 2000 2500 5.9 ram vans, will they work?
The letter just mean the AE is a newer software version than the AB. The dealer can do a software update if you want one.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:59 PM
slt82

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Last two number MIGHT just be revisions in programming....... What makes you think your current PCM is dead?

Welcome to DF!
Short story, computer rebuilding place said microprocessor is fried and its not repaiable. Long story if your interested, Van would not start and "no bus" on the odometer, randomly the van would start then a few minutes later it would run like crap, throw a code for the ignition coil then die and the no start with no bus would be back. When the van would start again the code would be gone, then a few minutes later same thing, run bad with coil code then die and no bus, this cycle happened a few times. AES Modules repaired the power section, put the computer in, ran great for a day, started dying then eventually wouldnt start with no bus, sent the ecm back for warranty repair, thats when they said I had to pay for another computer to rebuild because they could not repair it. The reason Im looking for another computer is because this company is a scam, over a week went by they never sent me an ecm and wouldnt return my calls, the computer was only supposed to be $175 but for some reason they tried to charge my card $400 which luckily didnt go through, they sent back my old ecm but wont give me my money back, do not deal with AES modules. The van is at the shop and Im going to have them check to see if something is frying the computers.

Also I called a dodge dealership about reprogramming, and they said they wont touch a computer from a junk yard and that I have to buy one from them, maybe I just have to call more dealerships.

Thanks for any help

Old 10-06-2011, 02:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Call your credit card company and protest the charges. You might have to go round and round with them a couple times, but, if you are persistent, you will win. (and best of all, it doesn't cost anything.)

You should be able to go to any good independent shop as well... Call around and ask if the shop has the capability to reflash the vin onto a dodge PCM. I think some of the more expensive snap-on scanners can do that trick. (never had to worry about it personally...)

Could also check prices at the parts store???

Old 10-06-2011, 03:47 PM
slt82

Parts stores are just over $500, could get a rebuilt from another computer exchange company for $300, or get junk a yard one with the wrong extension on the p/n for $150. this van is on its second motor, third trans which has a craked case, and has many other problems, I think I just need to get it running for as cheap as possible and sell it, need something reliable to get across the country, and also would like a 15 passenger.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:51 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you can find a junkyard pcm from the exact same year, same engine, same transmission, then it should work. the only other variable would be on the optional equipment such as ABS, SLT or not, Overhead Console, and Remote Locks.

no dealer will knowingly get involved with a junkyard pcm. they only like to sell you new one's for about $1200.

a top notch pcm rebuilder will flash it to exactly meet your trucks specs, as well as the VIN and mileage. auto computer exchange gets mixed reviews, so talk to them before you buy regarding warranty, exchange, shipping, time, etc. someone on here last year really disliked them, but i don't know who was right or wrong.
http://autocomputerexchange.com/

Quick Reply: Used computers?