2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

help with TPS CEL

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 10:08 PM
Wickedquick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with TPS CEL

I have gone through two new TPS from O'Rielys and when I first put them in the truck runs great for about 2 weeks. Then I will get a CEL for that sensor and she runs like crap. I could clear out the code and itl run great again for awile before the CEL comes back and it runs crappy. Should I just go with a new TPS from the dealer?

EDIT:

the MAP is within normal reading UNTIL the engine was running and I was raising RPMs. At idle it sat at 1 volt wich is fine. But then Haynes says to slowly raise the RPM and note the volts raise with it, wich it did not. It stayed at 1 then dropped to 0 when I let off the throttle.

Then I double checked the TPS and with the sensor not plugged into the hard wire it read 0 volts.....wich is not good it should be at 5. Im 90% sure I am using my meter correct (I didnt change settings from the MAP test) so could this mean the actual wire from my PCM to the sensor is bad? I also got 0 when I plugged it into the sensor and backprobed it. I just feel like it should run terrible if that wire is completly dead.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:22 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i think there are 3 wires at the tps connector. one is ground, one is 5 volt power, and the other is the variable output signal from the tps which operates in some range ( i don't remember.... something like .6 - 5 )

with engine not running, but ignition on - you should be able to probe these, and while twisting the throttle, see the output signal.

if you have no 5v input, that's a problem, and if its not a break in the wiring, it might be the pcm. the 01 service manual should have a complete wiring diagram in the back, section 8 i think.