2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Valve Noise???

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cam will require new valve springs & pushrods...Should use adj rockers with a cam or the push rods will have to be dead nuts on...Stiffer springs run the risk of snapping the two piece valves so you need new valves....etc etc etc...$$$

Is your exhaust manifold leaking..?

Old 10-13-2011, 11:57 AM
sandman0_0
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Before you start getting that weird on it, do one simple thing..... Change the oil. Put in some regular, average, every day, dino oil. NOT synthetic. drive it a couple days, see if it doesn't get quieter.
I already did that, That was the first thing I did, oil and filter. Is there a check valve in the oil system? This is the first Mopar I have had. I had a 01 Dodge 2500 with a CTD and never had to do any work on that except everyday maintenance. I have always worked on performance boat motors, Mostly BBC and a few SBC. So this V-10 is very foreign to me.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:03 PM
sandman0_0
Amateur

Originally Posted by Adobedude
Cam will require new valve springs & pushrods...Should use adj rockers with a cam or the push rods will have to be dead nuts on...Stiffer springs run the risk of snapping the two piece valves so you need new valves....etc etc etc...$$$

Exhaust is fine,

Old 10-13-2011, 12:37 PM
sandman0_0
Amateur

Originally Posted by Adobedude

I was looking at a good set of lash adjusting lifters, I figure I will send the heads over to my machine shop and have them go over them, This is my first experience with the mopar, I have mostly worked on performance boat motors, Mostly BBC and a few SBC. This V-10 is all new to me.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:10 PM
Hans_GZP
Veteran

There is a pressure relief valve that sits above the oil filter. I believe it's a 3/8" allen. You will want to remove that along with the valve and spring and make sure no sludge is built up in it. If it has a blockage, it will keep oil from flowing to the heads.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:57 AM
sandman0_0
Amateur

Originally Posted by Hans_GZP
There is a pressure relief valve that sits above the oil filter. I believe it's a 3/8" allen. You will want to remove that along with the valve and spring and make sure no sludge is built up in it. If it has a blockage, it will keep oil from flowing to the heads.
Thanks, I will dig into that tomorrow.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:40 PM
sandman0_0
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Before you start getting that weird on it, do one simple thing..... Change the oil. Put in some regular, average, every day, dino oil. NOT synthetic. drive it a couple days, see if it doesn't get quieter.
I did the oil change, and I think it may have quieted it down a bit at low RPM. But it did not help at all at highway speeds. It is very loud above 55 with a light load on the motor. Do you guys think it is the lifters? What else could it be?

Quick Reply: Valve Noise???