2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Please help...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 01:19 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cats fail for all kinds of reasons.. most often, on these rigs it's the plenum gasket- but other things happen to them too.. burning too rich for too long can kill them.. spent rings allowing blow-by can cost you a cat.. all kinds of things do it..

edited to add: I had a 74 f100 when I was a kid.. fired her up one morning before dawn to warm up, on the hill above the house.. walked out the door to go load up an noticed this red ambient glow in the vicinity of that rig.. I approached- uh, cautiously.. the cat was glowing red hot..

being a dumb kid, I thought this was the cats meow- and wanted to show it off to my friend I was picking up- we were 'sposed to be hunting that morning.. somewhere around the first three or four miles from the house, an audible hiss ensued, followed by a cracking sound- followed in short order by a straight up explosion.. sparks flew from behind the moving truck as if I had just taken a Surface to Air missile.. I thought maybe NORAD had taken exception to my driving or something.. and the truck LAUNCHED forward- threw me into the seat as if it was KITT from nightrider and david effin' hasslehoff had just punched the 'boost' button.. at the precise same moment, a roar which rivaled the drag cars at Thunder Valley began- and I was mystified and in utter confusion about what was happening to me, so much to the point in fact, that controlling my bowels all of the sudden became a top priority.. I mean, I didn't mind running into a tree- considering the circumstances (taking surface to air missiles, being pushed by a funny car, half awake in the wee hours) I thought I was holding up well and wasn't concerned about a little accident- but I'd be damned if I were to be found dead wrapped around a tree having shat myself...

upon arrival at my buddies house (the funny car chased me the entire way, but the fire from the missiles had subsided), and upon sunrise, I mustered the courage to re-approach the truck.. it was missing a cat, and missing the exhaust from where the cat was on back..

on the drive home that afternoon, I slowed in the region where I took fire from NORAD.. there in the road was fragmented parts and pieces of what I assume was my catalytic converter..

moral of the story? NORAD has deadly accurate aim, and took the cat clean off my truck without hitting anything else.. or, the damn thing clogged up for reasons unknown..

Last edited by drewactual; 10-12-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:44 PM
heatonsV10
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is alot of good advise. Thank you all. I am going to busy tonight and hopefully get it solved. I don't get paid till friday But If I can at least get my finger on the problem I should be sittin alright. Besides the two days riding my bike in the rain. Yee Haw.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Sounds more like a failed ignition module on one of the two coil sets.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:22 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am really confused - beacuse I thought drewactual would somehow relate cat temperature to that of his dog's anatomy........and the infrared thermometer......

Old 10-12-2011, 07:23 PM
Hans_GZP
Veteran

It could also be low fuel pressure from a clogged up fuel filter. They are located on the fuel pump assembly. Best way to change them is to replace the whole damn thing. I would also check for spark on all of the coils. The V10's are known for bad cats as well. Usually OEM cats only last about 60k miles on them.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Rammified_99

Sounds like either a bad (Burnt out Cat. Converter)..
If you have spark on all 10 cylinders.
As someone may have suggested, you can pull the 02 sensor and see how it runs, you'll get a check eng. light, but if it runs better the cat is clogged or burnt.
The coil packs too were issues with this motor. Just my 2 cents..Let us know what ya find!

Old 10-12-2011, 08:02 PM
Rammified_99

Originally Posted by gdstock
I am really confused - beacuse I thought drewactual would somehow relate cat temperature to that of his dog's anatomy........and the infrared thermometer......
I've noticed that my dog also has this issue.
His mouth temp is usually around 88 deg.
But the *** can get up to around 120 in the winter..

I so hate that.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:09 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Rammified_99
I've noticed that my dog also has this issue.
His mouth temp is usually around 88 deg.
But the *** can get up to around 120 in the winter..

I so hate that.
I love my dog, and vise versa, and we would both probably commit murder to protect each other. But, I don't get close enough to his *** to know the temp. WTF? LOL

Old 10-13-2011, 01:00 PM
heatonsV10
Amateur

Well last night I pulled the 02 sensors and badda bing back to running great. Took it to schucks and it spit the 02 codes and nothing else. So I got back home and plugged them back in and it seemed to run fine. ??WTF??. So I left it and on my way in this morning it started acting up again. Pulled over and unclipped them again and now its back to running great. So I am replacing all 3 of them today. Better safe then sorry. I haven't seen this before but there was two in front of the cat and 1 behind it. On the preliminary test it said check bank 1. After a little research, normally vehicles have 2 or 4 not 3 so either I did not see the 4th or the v10 came with 3. When talking to the guy at napa he said one of the front ones has something to do with measuring heat. That had me a little confused cause Schucks.com only has sensors for the front and rear and no temperature sending units back there. Off the top of my head they looked the same and had 4 wires coming out the top of them. So he might have been mistaken. Either way I am going to replace the 3 I saw.

Side note I banged on the cat last night to try and here crap falling in side. And I didn't hear anything. Cross my fingers it's only the 02 sensors.

Last edited by heatonsV10; 10-13-2011 at 01:01 PM. Reason: I cnat spel.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Rammified_99

Originally Posted by zman17
I love my dog, and vise versa, and we would both probably commit murder to protect each other. But, I don't get close enough to his *** to know the temp. WTF? LOL
Sorry bout that "Hotdog" reference!
Guess I was bored. Helps sometimes to be distracted sometimes while thinking about diagnosing a problem..The ol "Step away from it for a bit" advise I used to get.. I'm interested to see what's causing these "Bad 02 Codes".....I forgot to see if he had a DVOM & check for "Reference Voltage".. PCM might not even be monitoring these..?

Quick Reply: Please help...