2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck Won't start, lose of power.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 03:26 AM
Callahan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Truck Won't start, lose of power.

Hey guys this is my first post. I've been lurking here for a few years and I'm usually able to find my answers by searching the forums. I've run into a problem I can't seem to find an answer for so I'll jump right into it.

First off I'll give you my truck details. I own a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Off Road edition, 5.9 auto with 64k miles.

My Problem started 3 weeks ago. I went to start my truck and and all I got was clicking. No big deal battery is probably dead get the jump box out and try to jumpstart it. No luck so I bang on the starter. Ok it cranks but wouldn't start unless I had my foot on the gas. (Had to start it like a Carbureted car.) I had to keep the rpm over 2k for about 5 minutes before it would idle on it's own. It died if I let off the gas to fast or didn't wait long enough. But every time I cranked it it would restart. After it "warmed up" it ran fine and continued to run all week. Cranked and started like normal no problem.

Fast forward to last week I drove it Monday then it sat Tuesday and Wednesday and when I went to start it on Thursday same thing clicks under the hood but no crank. Ok I figure I have a battery drain somewhere or a bad battery. So I take the battery out and get it tested and it passes. re-install and notice my Hella's are barely on but the switch in my Cab is off. "Ahha!" I think to my self wires must have grounded themselves somewhere. So I removed all the wiring for the Hella's and my CB just to be safe. Go to crank it and I get a single click from either the Starter or somewhere under the brake booster up against the firewall. "hard to tell sometimes." I give the starter a little love from a broom handle and try again. Nothing so I checked all the Fuses in the PCM, and cabin. Checked ground wires. Swaped starter relay and made sure the Park safety switch was adjusted and working.

Now onto the good stuff tried starting it again all of a sudden I get clicking from the engine bay under the dash and my hazards go on. SHTF to put it simply. then the power cuts out. I mean everything is dead no accessories work nothing not even the OBDII port. Power comes back move the key to on and power cuts out again dash lights everything. I say screw it and left it over night. Yesterday went back at it checked for frayed wires double checked fuses and relays. Nothing seems broken so I go to start it again move the key to ON and now I get dash lights everything seems to be working, fuel pump purges we're all good. Go to crank it and "click" power goes out. It sounded like the click was coming from the starter so I pulled it and went and got it bench tested twice at two different places just to be sure. Passes put it back in and same thing click when I try to crank it and then the power cuts for 5 minutes or so until it "reboots." Any ideas?

Sorry if it was long winded I didn't want to leave out an details. Also sorry ahead of time for any grammar errors its 2 a.m. and I've been at this all day with no luck.

Thanks,
Pat

Last edited by Callahan; 10-13-2011 at 03:29 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:49 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It sounds like a bad batt lead, clean all the grounds and the batt terminals. There is a ground stud on the drivers side front of the head make sure that it is clean. Make sure all connections are tight, last new batt leads.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:12 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It wouldn't hurt to also pull the covers off the steering column and check the wires in there too.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:15 AM
blackbeasst
Veteran

funny you should bring this us.

i was getting gas this morning and after filling up i jump and crank it only to hear clicking (first time its done that since i figured out my glove compartment light was staying on 24/7 and killing it over weekends). had to do the exact same thing with putting my foot in it and cranking. finally cranked on about the fifth try.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:02 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

same thing happened to me about a month ago. I got a new battery and have not had a problem. Optima red top.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:10 AM
blackbeasst
Veteran

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
same thing happened to me about a month ago. I got a new battery and have not had a problem. Optima red top.
did your old battery test good? mine has passed with flying colors each time its tested

Old 10-13-2011, 11:39 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbeasst
did your old battery test good? mine has passed with flying colors each time its tested

How was it tested? Voltage only, or a load test when fully charged. A hygommeter is the best way, but since most of them are sealed nowadays, this is not a viable option. So second best is to fully charge and do a load test - like a carbon pile tester.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Most auto parts stores have the ability to load test both batteries, and starter motors.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:51 AM
blackbeasst
Veteran

Originally Posted by gdstock
How was it tested? Voltage only, or a load test when fully charged. A hygommeter is the best way, but since most of them are sealed nowadays, this is not a viable option. So second best is to fully charge and do a load test - like a carbon pile tester.
just the little gadgets that they hook up to test it

Old 10-13-2011, 01:31 PM
blackbeasst
Veteran

ugh. just happened again when i went to lunch. i did nothing more then sit and wait and it cranked after 3 tries

Quick Reply: Truck Won't start, lose of power.