2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Timing chain special tool 6635

Old 11-01-2012, 11:43 AM
LESchwartz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
i thought the purpose of the tool is to align the timing cover PERFECTLY CONCENTRIC with the crankshaft so that you get a good seal. however - its not like you've got a lot of play in the timing cover...

i did mine having never heard of this tool, and it turned out fine.

if you wanted to be clever, you could slide the balancer onto the crank and into the cover before torquing down the timing cover.
The tool is mentioned *twice* in my Dakota shop manual: Once to align the timing cover (which I viewed as a secondary use). However, it can also be used to press in a new seal if the the timing cover has not been removed. I ended up getting a longer bolt and using some parts from my ball joint press kit to jimmy up a tool for this purpose -- worked slick.

Larry

PS: I purchased the one from the photo you posted (it was on eBay). I figure since I my family owns five Dakotas I'll find a use for it eventually. 8)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing chain special tool 6635