2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 Dodge Ram rattly/knocking noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:08 PM
Blondiegirl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Dodge Ram rattly/knocking noise

im looking at buying a 97 dodgeram 1500 from a guy. I was told that the tranny worked fine and one day it just quit. the truck has a 318 and auto tranny. The guy said it started right up and ran perfect it just wouldnt move. however while looking at the truck i had the man start it and i discovered a knocking like noice when it first stared for about 25 seconds it sounded to me like it was down around the tranny and fly wheele. I would love to purchace the truck the body is perfect but im a little worried it may be more than just a tranny can anyone help me please! and thank u !

Last edited by Blondiegirl; 10-17-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:03 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

At this stage, it would be worth it to take to a shop of your choice and pay a nominal inspection fee to diagnose that. That will give you confidence. It's on your nickel, not a big commitment and you can direct what to diagnose i.e., engine/tranny.

edit: thats what id do if it were me. also, take pictures before you take it in, then after. Just so you have a visual benchmark of everything.

Quick Reply: 97 Dodge Ram rattly/knocking noise