2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How do I clean my 96 Ram 1500 chrome Hubcaps

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 09:35 PM
reconrey
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do I clean my 96 Ram 1500 chrome Hubcaps

I have a 96 Ram 1500 and the Hubcap has a build-up of crap on it. It is plastic and has a chrome finish. I tried using Chrome cleaner and it didn't work (although it worked amazingly on the rims), I tried soap and water, and a lot of other varying cleaners but they don't seem to be easily taking it off, the chrome cleaner worked - its just it took a lot of cleaner to clean a tiny spot and I don't want to waste all of it on on hubcap. Are there any tricks to cleaning these? Thanks.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:41 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well if the chemical cleaner's aren't getting it done maybe you need to try something like a Mother's Ball or something like that. I've not used one myself so I'm not sure if they work or not.

And there is the possibility that whatever is on there simply isn't going to come off.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:41 PM
reconrey
Rookie

Originally Posted by stewie01
Well if the chemical cleaner's aren't getting it done maybe you need to try something like a Mother's Ball or something like that. I've not used one myself so I'm not sure if they work or not.

And there is the possibility that whatever is on there simply isn't going to come off.
Hmm, I'll try.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:45 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it like dirt or brake dust, crap like that? I'm not sure the effects it'd have on the plastic, if any, but bleach may help some too if you haven't tried it. You could try a little spot see if it's gonna mess something up if not let the hub caps soak in some bleach/hot water for a little bit.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:51 PM
John D in CT
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your best bet might be Soft Scrub (or any other brand of the same stuff - a mild abrasive liquid cleanser) and a toothbrush. That stuff works great on a lot of things. You might even be able to use wheel acid on them; that stuff works really well at cleaning brake dust and road crap off of wheels. I've used it on painted wheels, and the chrome finish should be at least as tough as paint.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:58 PM
reconrey
Rookie

Originally Posted by stewie01
Is it like dirt or brake dust, crap like that? I'm not sure the effects it'd have on the plastic, if any, but bleach may help some too if you haven't tried it. You could try a little spot see if it's gonna mess something up if not let the hub caps soak in some bleach/hot water for a little bit.
Yea, I'm pretty sure that its break dust. I'll try that.

Originally Posted by John D in CT
Your best bet might be Soft Scrub (or any other brand of the same stuff - a mild abrasive liquid cleanser) and a toothbrush. That stuff works great on a lot of things. You might even be able to use wheel acid on them; that stuff works really well at cleaning brake dust and road crap off of wheels. I've used it on painted wheels, and the chrome finish should be at least as tough as paint.

Oh. I'll try that. Thanks.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:33 AM
hawaiian
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have used glass cleaner and perfect orange all purpose cleaner both seem to have worked. the orange cleaner i got at home dopt.

Quick Reply: How do I clean my 96 Ram 1500 chrome Hubcaps