2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Warming up your truck in the winter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 08:53 PM
methpmp
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed an temp gauge in my drain plug hole and i have one in the trans pan and I can switch between the two cuz I use one gauge.. the oil temp on my truck even after ten miles on my drive to work don't get over 100 unless its idling for about 5 minutes and will climb to about 140 and stay there and once I start moving again it'll drop under 100 again... im not sure if having the clutch fan stuck on is having the oil cool down or not but that's my two cents ... actually neither the trans or the oil reach over 100 this time of the year on a daily basis

Old 11-16-2011, 10:42 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i have fired up my truck with my valve covers off and from doing so i learned that my truck requires about 30 seconds to start pumping oil to all the rocker arms. IMO it is probably a good idea to let you truck idle in neutral for at least 1 minute before you decide to drive it.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:27 AM
Annihilator_X9
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, the oil barely lubricates when it's cold, and oil pressure does not equate to lubrication. Cold oil under high pressure is not effective, it is resisting flow, and it's actually the flow of the oil that lubricates the engine. Also, oil typically doesn't reach it's full operating temperature for about 20 minutes, whereas the coolant will reach that in about 5 while driving.

I typically 0W-30 or 5W-30 synthetics in cold weather just so that it's thinner on cold starts. It'll flow much sooner than a 10w conventional.

Really awesome article:
http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/faq...tor_oil_basics

Old 11-17-2011, 09:35 AM
John D in CT
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by methpmp
I installed an temp gauge in my drain plug hole and i have one in the trans pan and I can switch between the two cuz I use one gauge.. the oil temp on my truck even after ten miles on my drive to work don't get over 100 unless its idling for about 5 minutes and will climb to about 140 and stay there and once I start moving again it'll drop under 100 again... im not sure if having the clutch fan stuck on is having the oil cool down or not but that's my two cents ... actually neither the trans or the oil reach over 100 this time of the year on a daily basis
There's no way that your engine oil A) warms up faster while idling or B) drops 40 degrees when you start driving. I think you're getting erroneous readings because the senders themselves cool down when the truck is moving. And I guarantee you that your oil is getting hotter than 100 degrees, which would just barely feel warm to the touch.

Last edited by John D in CT; 11-17-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:43 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Annihilator_X9
Honestly, the oil barely lubricates when it's cold, and oil pressure does not equate to lubrication. Cold oil under high pressure is not effective, it is resisting flow, and it's actually the flow of the oil that lubricates the engine. Also, oil typically doesn't reach it's full operating temperature for about 20 minutes, whereas the coolant will reach that in about 5 while driving.

I typically 0W-30 or 5W-30 synthetics in cold weather just so that it's thinner on cold starts. It'll flow much sooner than a 10w conventional.

Really awesome article:
http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/faq...tor_oil_basics
ditto.... this is why its recommended to use lighter thinner oil in the winter in colder areas.. Also why some vehicles like ford trucks and vans have a shift delay until they reach a certain temp to heat things up fast and lessen the chance of premature failure..

Old 11-17-2011, 01:08 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

IDK about you guys, but my 2001 Durango 4.7L wont shift into O/D until everything is warmed up.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:29 PM
Annihilator_X9
Captain

My Ram goes into OD when it's cold. I usually have it turned off until it's up to temp.

Quick Reply: Warming up your truck in the winter?