2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Where is my PCM part number located?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 10:02 AM
dlyter09
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
You have a 2000 and IIRC, the death flash started in 98. And yes, it's included in the software no matter what they are flashing the pcm for. And in your pic, you can clearly see, that not only is it a sticker over another sticker, but it also says "software update". Some dealers hand write the sticker and some print them out.

+1 on that. I didnt even see the second picture there. Yours must have been in for some type of service at some point to have the PCM flashed. I have the death flash also. You stated that you have the superchips programmer so you really shouldnt have to worry about it since you reflashed it with whichever tune you are running.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:07 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

A Hypertech, SuperChips and SCT all take care of the timing retard the deathflash has.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
I used to be a salesman at a Ford/Dodge dealership several years ago. After I started working on my project Ram, I contacted the service manager that worked there at that time. He is a tech guru on a lot of things computer. He gave me a run down on the death flash and other software changes. I was looking for the best way to hack the PCM and read the program. He said that if a customer comes in and has a PCM issue, the flash to the current software, which may have changes made lng after the infamous death flash, but the death flash is still there. He did laugh at the moniker "death flash." He said Dodge refers to it as "anti-knock" instead!

I may see him over Thankgiving if I go back home. I will see if he can fill me in on TSB number. May be helpful (or amusing) to others here as well.
+1 one to you on sharing more of your insight on this. I know you've been down this road well before me. So thanks for holding hand and offering further, possible, queries about it.

You have a 2000 and IIRC, the death flash started in 98. And yes, it's included in the software no matter what they are flashing the pcm for. And in your pic, you can clearly see, that not only is it a sticker over another sticker, but it also says "software update". Some dealers hand write the sticker and some print them out.
There we go, needed that smart **** input! Correct, I'm a 2000 bugger. Yes in the 2nd picture it says those words. However, I was still uncertain b/c I found another TSB about CA emissions that also puts such a sticker on the PCM. Hence my reply to Dlyter earlier about whether a PCM flash is ONLY for each particular TSB.

What crossed my mind is that the dealer will only flash if you come in and present a particular problem. They look and say...oh hey, its this one so just flash that baby.

You guys are saying by default the vehicle is up to date on PCM flash and INCLUDES the anti-knock (aka death flash). I get that and so to be absolutely certain would be to give dealer VIN over phone or should it be taken in to them?

Originally Posted by dlyter09
+1 on that. I didnt even see the second picture there. Yours must have been in for some type of service at some point to have the PCM flashed. I have the death flash also. You stated that you have the superchips programmer so you really shouldnt have to worry about it since you reflashed it with whichever tune you are running.
yeah, sorry. I added the 2nd picture after you posted.

I know that since I've owned the truck, I was never aware of requesting or being told of a PCM flash. Possible the PO did it after purchasing it new.

How do you guys know programmers override? More importantly, mine is so old that Superchips offers mailing in to have manually upgraded OR trade in for upgrade +price difference.

A Hypertech, SuperChips and SCT all take care of the timing retard the deathflash has.
That just reads funny my man.

As you can tell, I'm just starting to invest more time into this aspect. Things in the past 4 months have started to show their ugly heads. Thanks for the help and putting up with my further queries. I'm not looking for huge performance enhancements or anything as I'm pretty much stock. Yet, look to take "smart" advantages where possible.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:57 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Any programmer that will put a different tune into the trucks PCM will overwrite the factory flash on there. You said you are running a economy tune. Your stock flash should still be saved onto the programmer so if you flash the factory tune back onto your PCM and drive the truck a while you should see a very noticable difference in the way the truck runs. If you have any other tunes besides your economy one go ahead and flash one of them onto there and you should see a big difference in your performance.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:06 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
+1 one to you on sharing more of your insight on this. I know you've been down this road well before me. So thanks for holding hand and offering further, possible, queries about it.

There we go, needed that smart **** input! Correct, I'm a 2000 bugger. Yes in the 2nd picture it says those words. However, I was still uncertain b/c I found another TSB about CA emissions that also puts such a sticker on the PCM. Hence my reply to Dlyter earlier about whether a PCM flash is ONLY for each particular TSB.

What crossed my mind is that the dealer will only flash if you come in and present a particular problem. They look and say...oh hey, its this one so just flash that baby.

You guys are saying by default the vehicle is up to date on PCM flash and INCLUDES the anti-knock (aka death flash). I get that and so to be absolutely certain would be to give dealer VIN over phone or should it be taken in to them?

yeah, sorry. I added the 2nd picture after you posted.

I know that since I've owned the truck, I was never aware of requesting or being told of a PCM flash. Possible the PO did it after purchasing it new.

How do you guys know programmers override? More importantly, mine is so old that Superchips offers mailing in to have manually upgraded OR trade in for upgrade +price difference.

That just reads funny my man.

As you can tell, I'm just starting to invest more time into this aspect. Things in the past 4 months have started to show their ugly heads. Thanks for the help and putting up with my further queries. I'm not looking for huge performance enhancements or anything as I'm pretty much stock. Yet, look to take "smart" advantages where possible.
Dude, you have the death flash whether you like it or not. LOL This is not like a Windows update that gives you a choice of what to install. As a matter of fact, I think all 2000 and up have it included from the factory. No update needed.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:23 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok ok, Uncle Uncle!!

Thanks Z and dlyter09.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:05 PM
dlyter09
Champion

No problem boss

Quick Reply: Where is my PCM part number located?