2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Starter Solenoid Harness Connector

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 12:46 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

Soooo.....I entered this rabbit hole tonight, but at least I found my way out in the same evening.

I had ordered a starter on AWD (Amazon Warehouse Deals) thinking I was sooooo clever: $58 for something where O'Reilly wants $183 (although, yes, you get a LT warranty with them which actually can be useful)

All was looking good until I realized I had ordered a '99-03 starter and I was working on a '98. From what I can tell the ONLY difference is the connection method for the trigger wire.

'98 and earlier uses a ring terminal (awesome, simple, basically universal) while '99+ uses a proprietary connector which is relatively massive in size for a single wire connection.

Searching online revealed no results for a pigtail connector but several people have tried, just like me. Most people were looking because of failed plastic within the connector itself, something a ring terminal is not subject to.
https://www.dodgedurango.net/threads...starter.82893/

Ironically, I was able to find the part that SOLDERS onto/into the starter itself (on ebay) but the single wire external connector appears to be NLA.

Thus, I entered the rabbit hole and, not wanting to solder anything, I decided to keep the section of the '98 starter case with the two threaded studs:

Although disassembled, here's the '98 and earlier starter. Note two threaded studs external. Also note the wear to the copper contact top, inside

Here's the '99-03 with stupid plastic connector exterior

Here's what a bench for a Frankenstarter looks like

Here's what a completed Frankenstarter looks like. I was able to swap the worn copper contact (left hand), note the fresh shiny copper threaded stud now protruding from old case section

Old 06-30-2022, 12:50 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

Also, I'm going to say that '98 and earlier is a superior setup and go so far as to suggest that if you're replacing a starter '99-03 you should "upgrade" by getting a '98 starter. All you'd need to do is clip off the failure-prone plastic connector and crimp on a ring terminal. Done.

Old 06-30-2022, 09:47 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

Here was somebody having a similar issue, but on an '04 CTD. From what I can see the connector is different so later-model diesel parts won't help us gas guys
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads...connector.html

Here's another example of a diesel user also looking for the connector, BUT the user mwilson suggests a really cool (but not very user-friendly) site for tons of Mopar connectors. Worth a look if you wanna go into the rabbit hole of automotive electrical connectors (incidentally, I was unable to find the connector for the '99-03 starters here, leading me to believe it is simply not sold anymore)
https://www.turbodieselregister.com/...il-p-n.271086/

The following users liked this post:
AtomicDog (06-30-2022)
Old 07-02-2022, 01:05 AM
Rlynnday
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll second this! I replaced the starter on my 2001 with a new one, with the plastic P.o.s., and was amazed when my father in law's '98 starter didn't have plastic.

The following users liked this post:
Keith_L (07-02-2022)

Quick Reply: Starter Solenoid Harness Connector