2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What A/T tire works best for you?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 10:52 PM
DodgeItRamIt97
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What A/T tire works best for you?

I have a 1997 2wd and Im looking to get 33's for it, prefferably 285/70/17 and I was looking at some tires. The Yokohama Geolander A/T the Firestone Destination A/T and the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo II.
The reviews for all these tires seem to be all over the place. Most say theyre a great tires in terms of performance but some say they wear really fast. My trucks a 2wd so Im not planning on doing serious off roading I just need A/T tires for the few times I leave the pavement for camping trips and such. Anyone have any input?

Old 10-29-2011, 10:59 PM
dodgeramit_10
Veteran

I've got the yokahama and they seem to be good across the board. I haul a trailer every weekend and the front tires are wore pretty bad already never got time to rotate so that is probably a my bad.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:51 PM
romadramowner
Professional

Not on your list but I liked the Nitto Grappler A/T I had on my Silverado 2500 4x4. I had 285/75-16s.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:28 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The AT Revo IIs have VERY SHALLOW tread depth. Overpriced IMHO.

I am running the tired that came with the truck when I bought them: Bridgestone Dueler ATs. Not very good in the snow.

Great snow tire and offroad tire: BF Goodrich All Terrain KO.

Tires i got for my wife's Yukon: Bridgestone Dueler ATP. VERY well priced. Great in the rain. DEEP tread depth. Waiting for it to snow!!! She has a 2WD, so we will see if they are worth it. But they don't seem to be wearing after 10K miles. They also look decently aggressive.

Go with a tire with a good warranty. The Dueler ATPs have a 60K warranty. I don't think the BF Goodrich has any warranty.

Don;t buy the revos, they are overpriced.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:28 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Longer treadlife means harder rubber. Thats why they last longer. Its a comprimise between the two. Softer rubber=better grip, but shorter life. Stiffer rubber=less grip, but longer life. Why do you think "high performance" tires dont have a treadlife warrenty? Theyre not going to advertise a 20,000 mile treadlife.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:13 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have firestone destination at , I like them a lot pretty good price tag

Old 10-30-2011, 01:53 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Get some cooper zeon ltz. great tire and good price

Old 10-30-2011, 03:16 PM
Rob59
Rookie

Originally Posted by kejobe
Longer treadlife means harder rubber. Thats why they last longer. Its a comprimise between the two. Softer rubber=better grip, but shorter life. Stiffer rubber=less grip, but longer life. Why do you think "high performance" tires dont have a treadlife warrenty? Theyre not going to advertise a 20,000 mile treadlife.
Softer tires also don't do as well in the rain in my experience. Mickey Thompson Baja's i used to have on my mine were absolutely horrid in the rain.

Personally i like the BFG A/T's. Very good all around tire.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:26 PM
chadhager03
Captain

Ya just bad in mud, but that is expected. They don't clear too well

Old 10-30-2011, 04:01 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

BFG A/T's are the best all terrain tire in my book. 3 ply sidewalls give you added strength for towing and protection from rock punctures. Their only downside is that there is not a clear path from the center out for mud to clear out, so they pack up in mud and snow. In most other conditions though, they are very good. They seem to last a long time too.

General makes a tire that is very similar to the BFG A/T (Grabber A/T I think it is called), and for the price, it is my understanding that they are a pretty good tire. I've never tried them.

If you want something that does better in mud and snow, but don't want a dedicated mud tire, try the Goodyear Duratrac. They are supposed to be a crossover between a full mud tire and an all terrain tire, and I think Goodyear nailed that. I am traditionally not a Goodyear fan, but they are what I am currently running, and I am very happy with them. I wish they had a tougher sidewall, but otherwise they are one of the best tires I've run.

Quick Reply: What A/T tire works best for you?