2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need help...Truck not running right

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:12 PM
2SSick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys sorry i havent responded in a while but i been really busy with work and the holidays...so i finally got around to pulling the intake manifold again and when i did everything looked fine...
Name:  photo22.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  179.7 KB
Name:  photo21.jpg
Size:  157.2 KB

as for the plenum that looked good too...the gasket stuck out on one corner but when i took the pan off it didnt seem like it woulda caused a leak...
Name:  photo18.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  110.6 KB
Name:  photo12.jpg
Size:  166.9 KB
Name:  photo16.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  142.5 KB

last time when i was putting in the plenum pan i misread my haines manual and torqued them down ft lbs and not inch lbs and broke a bolt...i tried tapping it out myself and failed and made things worse...i took it to a machine shop and they helicoiled it and gave me a new bolt and washer to put in...in the pic it looks like the washer isnt big enough...it does cover the hole tho...but the washer has a space in it, i 4got the name of the type of washer (its not a complete circle or completely flat) is that a problem?
Name:  photo20.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  131.3 KB
Name:  photo14.jpg
Size:  169.3 KB
Actually now that i look at the picture big on my computer it looks like the washer doesnt cover the circle completely in the first pic...i didnt notice when i had it in person...the machine shop gave it to me so i assumed it was good...

i just ordered the aps billet plenum kit so whenever that comes imma be putting **** back together with the dodge oem intake gaskets and hopefully all is well...i just got find a new bolt to fit the thicker pan and i suppose ill just use the washer aps sends me with that new bolt. In the meantime imma get the manifold magnifluxed.

Last edited by 2SSick; 11-29-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:22 PM
2SSick

Originally Posted by Magnum4406
The pinging makes me think....running lean...maybe there is a vacuum leak...check like heyyou says. Should not be much of a pressure breeze..but there should not be vacuum. Or the fuel sync is way off..The position of the distributor sets the injector timing, squirting at a closed valve is not ideal.

Another thing would be firing order, 5 & 7 are easy to cross. 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2, Drivers side 1-3-5-7 pass side 2-4-6-8

Just some things to check.....Hope you figure it out

The seals at the front and rear of the intake will not cause a vacuum leak. the ports seal to the head on the sides of the intake individually...the end seals will cause an oil leak though.
the dodge dealership said they reset my feel sync...who knows if they really did?

Old 12-01-2011, 06:37 PM
2SSick
Old 12-31-2011, 01:08 PM
christheplumber
Default 2SSick

Was wondering if adding the plenum kit to the intake solved the no-idle issue?

Quick Reply: Need help...Truck not running right