2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electric Brake Controller Question 99 Ram

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 05:45 PM
BigRedDodge99
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Brake Controller Question 99 Ram

I need some help on hooking up a Electric Brake Controller so I can pull my 28' camper.

As far as the controller goes some say I just need to get one that plugs into my truck.

Others say I will need to have the truck wired. I have the tow package on it. Can someone

set me straight. do I just plug in? if so where? or do I need to have it completely wired?

the truck is a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport with off road and tow package. I would like to get

this done this weekend so I am looking forward to all you guys and gals knowledge on this one.

Thanks,

John

Old 07-29-2005, 01:20 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: Electric Brake Controller Question 99 Ram

It's a 4 prong connector, and it's under the dash somewhere. It comes pre-installed on all trucks with the factory tow package. Your user manual should tell you exactly where the plug is.

Old 07-29-2005, 12:48 PM
john dempsey

I have a 97 2500 4x4 that I ordered from the factory with the tow package. Upon delivery, in my glove box was a wireharness that I wired to my brake controller, which inturn I plugged under my dash. It took me 15 minutes tops to complete the connections.

Old 07-29-2005, 05:32 PM
ejazz

It is a blue plug with four wires to it. It is between the emergency brake pedal and the steering column under the dash by the firewall. Usually you will get the plug that goes into this blue connector from the factory in the glove compartment like John said. The plug will have four wires that you butt splice right to the back of your brake controller. If you are missing this plug, any Dodge dealer will have them. Butt splice your wires to your controller, connect the plug to the blue harness under the dash and your ready to go. I just put in a brake controller on my '99 and it is a night and day difference. Good Luck

Old 07-31-2005, 08:01 PM
BigRedDodge99
Rookie

Thanks guys for the helpful info. I didn't get a Harness in the glove compartment since I bought the truck used. I'll have to give the Dodge Stealership a visit and pick one up.

thanks again for the help.

John

Quick Reply: Electric Brake Controller Question 99 Ram