2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Odd Transmission Behavior

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 06:32 PM
danieldk321
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd Transmission Behavior

Hi guys, This is my first post as i am new to DF, so i appreciate everyones time and thoughts.

I have a 1998 2nd gen Ram 2WD with the 5.2L and 46R automatic transmission.
The transmission was rebuilt at 120k miles and ever since it has left the shop it has been having a problem shifting to third gear. From a dead stop with steady acceleration the truck will shift into third gear then immediately pop back down to second gear for about 2 seconds, then back to third and will shift normally after that until the next time the truck comes to a stop. Also if from a dead stop the accelerator is floored, it will still downshift as soon as it hits third gear only it will throw the RPM into red. Anyone have any ideas? Can provide more information if required. Thanks again!

Old 11-10-2011, 07:01 PM
methpmp
Amateur

Welcome to DF. How many miles since u had it rebuilt? Soon enough someone with more experience will chime in and help you.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Go back to the shop that rebuilt it, and show them what it does.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:32 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It may be as simple as throttle valve cable, but as HeyYou stated, take it back. They should warranty their work!

Old 11-10-2011, 11:21 PM
jswain
Veteran

Mine sorta does a similar thing. If you accelerate a little hard in third gear, sometimes it will drop back from third to second and back to third. It did it worst when freshly rebuilt. I told the shop about it and they adjusted the tv cable and that helped a lot. Occassionally will still do it under the right circumstances. Shifts normal if floored. Generally, they set the TV cable for firm shifts after they do a rebuild. I bet adjusting the TV cable (definitely let the shop do it for you if its still under warranty) would help. Let me know what you find out. I assume what mine does is normal for a trans with a shift kit, makes trans a little more sensitive to throttle input.

Quick Reply: Odd Transmission Behavior