2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Good price for front and rear axles out of a 01 ram offroad edition?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 04:40 PM
rwilhelms
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good price for front and rear axles out of a 01 ram offroad edition?

I went and picked up some 17" offroad rims today from a guy that must be really hurting for money cause he sold me the rims and tires for $100. Tires aren't the greatest but I think I should be able to turn a profit on these. Anyways he also said he was willing to sell the front and rear axles out of it. The offroads came with the 4.10 gears right? He said that they'd be complete with all components for the axle $400 for the both of them. The only reason I'm wondering is because I'm running the 35's on the stock 3.55 gears and I'd like to go with the 4.56's but its so expensive to re gear. Also right now I love having the posi rear end I have no problem getting the truck sideways on dry pavement if I really want to and I would hope the offroads would still be posi and not the one wheel peel like the other rams I've had. Would this be a good deal for me or would I be better off saving pennies till I have enough to go to the 4.56's?

Old 11-11-2011, 04:45 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rwilhelms
The offroads came with the 4.10 gears right?
Yes

Would this be a good deal for me or would I be better off saving pennies till I have enough to go to the 4.56's?
Yes its a good deal to do the swap for that price, especially for 35" tires. If you plan on larger tire, then 4.10 will start to feel like the 3.55s. I'd suggest 4.88 (max ratio in Chrysler 9.25) for 37s. Same price b/t 4.56 and 4.88.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:49 PM
rwilhelms
Veteran

I don't plan on going any bigger than 35's

Old 11-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

Then 4.56 are definitly not necessary imo. I think you have a good deal...assuming everything is in relatively good shape.

I'd thus suggest you ask for any maintenance receipts, get them checked/inspected for a nominal fee at a trusted shop, preferably one that has experience.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:08 PM
rwilhelms
Veteran

Now when you say get them checked at a shop what exactly would they check? Would they just pull the diff covers off and check gears and make sure there's not big pieces of metal on the magnets at the bottom of the diff?

Old 11-11-2011, 05:18 PM
rwilhelms
Veteran

And as long as I have a thread open would you know about how much the offroad rims usually sell for? I got home with them at 2 cleaned them up and had them on craigslist at 3 and in an hour and I already had a guy say he will come pick them up for $50 more than what I paid for them. I told him $200 and he can come pick them up when ever that would be a $100 dollar profit for me if he says yeah but I'm not sure if that is a ridiculous price I wouldn't think so though.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:22 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$200-$300 is probably a good price point, if it's the one's like I have.

If they are in good shape I wouldn't let them go for less then $200

Old 11-11-2011, 05:36 PM
rwilhelms
Veteran

they are in decent shape but not mint. They do have some corrosion on them from going through the salt and snow on the roads in the horrible Wisconsin winters

Old 11-11-2011, 05:45 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd aim for $200 and see what offer's you get.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

Now when you say get them checked at a shop what exactly would they check? Would they just pull the diff covers off and check gears and make sure there's not big pieces of metal on the magnets at the bottom of the diff?
That would be the simplest to do right? A good visual check. I mean, you'd like to make sure the gears, LSD, etc. are all in working order rather than obliterated. Additionally, if there is wear then the shop would/should be able to identify that as well as alarm you of anything bad. Just my recommendation. Who likes to buy something and then 10 minutes after in hand....it blows up, excluding fireworks and dynamite.

And as long as I have a thread open would you know about how much the offroad rims usually sell for? I got home with them at 2 cleaned them up and had them on craigslist at 3 and in an hour and I already had a guy say he will come pick them up for $50 more than what I paid for them. I told him $200 and he can come pick them up when ever that would be a $100 dollar profit for me if he says yeah but I'm not sure if that is a ridiculous price I wouldn't think so though.
Maybe look and see what other people are paying for them? You can do a large search.

I also sold mine without a problem a few years back. Near $200 with 30% tread remaining on Wranglers. Really depends on what you want for them and how long you'll wait it out.

Quick Reply: Good price for front and rear axles out of a 01 ram offroad edition?