2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How NOT to install Hughes Airgap

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 10:14 PM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I smeared a thin layer of RTV over the entire Reinz gasket, didn't use the end seals as it sat too high when I did a dry fit, just ran a bead accross front and back. Let it cure for 2 days. I have no leaks. Is the fuel from the intake ports going to soften my gasket or what? I used Permatex Ultra Grey
I made sure to torque the bolts in order in steps several times.
Thought the only caution was to make sure not to put too much as it will squeeze out and restrict air/fuel flow to the cylinder.

Last edited by beeker; 11-23-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:32 AM
rampuppy
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beeker
I smeared a thin layer of RTV over the entire Reinz gasket, didn't use the end seals as it sat too high when I did a dry fit, just ran a bead accross front and back. Let it cure for 2 days. I have no leaks. Is the fuel from the intake ports going to soften my gasket or what? I used Permatex Ultra Grey
I made sure to torque the bolts in order in steps several times.
Thought the only caution was to make sure not to put too much as it will squeeze out and restrict air/fuel flow to the cylinder.
Only if the RTV is exposed to fuel would there be a problem with deterioration. Even the tube says it's not good for fuel exposure applications.

Good call not using the x gaskets since you RTV'ed the runners, OTW you'd been leaking like mine did.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:25 AM
4085spd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rampuppy
Yes, it was cured before starting up. Since the air gap runners are much narrower than the kegger runners, I suspect the rtv created an uneven surface which, like HeyYou says, this and the low torque just compounded any surface imperfection.

I don't know what to think of the cross gaskets, I mean they were literally in pieces by 250 miles. I didn't use any rtv with these as drew recommends, other than the corners.
The hughes Air crap was original designed for a LA block(9.60 deck height)with magnum heads running a carb. Hughes or Edelbrock did not account for the shorter deck height of the magnum block of 9.59 which creates a larger gap at the end seals which are rubber with a metal core and i have no idea how they would just crumble into pieces. Mopar performance M1 will not have these issue as it is designed for a magnum engine and not a carb conversion like the other. Sounds reads like a nice truck any details on it like picture n such.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:42 PM
rampuppy
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4085 - wish I'd known that before. No earthly idea how one would find that info you gave, but after physically checking the diff's with and without x-gaskets, it is true as you state.

If the x-gaskets are 100% RTV, then I suspect the fuel leaking from intake dissolved them. RTV is not designed to be in contact with gas, and I assume gas vapor applies as well.

Since the re-install, everything nice n tight, running pretty good. Still not convinced she's post-rebuild 100% optimum. I had Hughes put together a SCT tune, but now am second guessing that decision as Hemifever seems to be the top guru for tunes.

Quick Reply: How NOT to install Hughes Airgap