2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

U joints on 98 Ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 09:13 PM
eugene3524
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation U joints on 98 Ram 1500

Today i picked up my 1998 Ram 4x4 Sport from inspection station with a list of items that need changed, ( I was expecting it) . Already ordered all the parts but the U joints, I cannot get the info anywhere so turned to you Ram genuises that helped out so well before.

I will be replacing the front U joint and drive shaft..doesnt a certified used front driveshaft from a junk yard usually come with the u joint already in it? How would i check if that one needs replaced?

I also will be needing to replace the front right 4x4 u joint, are all the U joints throughout the truck same? I tried to look it up on Autozone what they offered fro U joints for my truck and they offered one so I assumed all are same..is that correct?

I will also be replacing all 4 ball joints, front rotors and pads and rear brake shoes..if anyone has any tips they would like to throw in.

thanks ahead!

Old 11-15-2011, 09:30 PM
Bens5.9l4x4
Rookie

For staters I just replaced my driverside u joint it was a major PITA I went to several auto parts stores and ended up finding one that looked perfect for $25 it took me and 2 guys and some what my wife a total of 8 hrs to disassemble and reassemble. Point is plz don't be dumb like I was take your u joint and shaft with u to find the right one and please spray all the bolts down very very well with pb for a few days before. Not promising urs will be like mine was but just in case lol

Old 11-15-2011, 09:36 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are several threads on ball joint replacement as well as U Joints. U Joints are much easier than ball joints. You can go to the FAQ/DIY section and sownload a service manual for better instructions. Also a parts manual is in the same section. Use Dodge parts manual as parts stores acn cross reference Dodge part number.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:56 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
There are several threads on ball joint replacement as well as U Joints. U Joints are much easier than ball joints. You can go to the FAQ/DIY section and sownload a service manual for better instructions. Also a parts manual is in the same section. Use Dodge parts manual as parts stores acn cross reference Dodge part number.
+1!!!! and then some

Old 11-15-2011, 10:07 PM
eugene3524

I'm not asking on how to change them, I'm asking a simple Yes or no answer from someone who dealt with the issue beforehand on whether all u joints are same or not, that's all

Old 11-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Dycrow27
Veteran

No not all U-Joints are the same i found that out recently they have different size bearing caps for different applications like front or rear shaft internal and external clips on them. The dumb PO of my truck decided hey why not weld the U-Joint in so now have to buy a new rear differential yoke and drive-shaft (Had scrapes on it so i suppose it fell off while going down the road at one point) and replace U-Joint because it failed inspection for lack of clips.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:42 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eugene3524
I'm not asking on how to change them, I'm asking a simple Yes or no answer from someone who dealt with the issue beforehand on whether all u joints are same or not, that's all

Mine are the same. The way I found out was checking part numbers and qty required in parts manual.........

Quick Reply: U joints on 98 Ram 1500