2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2000 Ram 5.9L, Stalls, Loses Fuel Level

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 12:30 PM
gatorheel
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Ram 5.9L, Stalls, Loses Fuel Level

Basic situation: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L gas truck runs great but randomly stalls. Zero problems prior to stall, just cuts out. No hesitation, roughness, etc. Happens at any throttle position or speed, but seems more likely when traveling slowly. When it does stall, the fuel gauge goes to zero. Anywhere from 0 to 20 minutes later, fuel gauge comes alive, and it starts right up again. Once it has stalled once, it's more likely to do so until it's fully cool. While fuel gauge is zero, all electronics work fine, engine cranks but doesn't fire.

After reading the forums extensively, I'm almost certain I have a problem somewhere on the ASD loop (seems the fuel gauge is the key symptom) and is probably heat soak related. I have replaced the CKPS (crankshaft) and CPS (camshaft/coil) sensors, as well as the ASD relay, and I still have the problem. But, it's happening a LOT less, so I think it's possible I had two problems causing the same issue.

I read the other posts, it seems my next options are to replace the TPS, MAP, and/or PCM. Does anyone have a recommendation on which might be most likely? If not, I'll probably go in that order, just due to cost of the parts. I probably should have done this earlier, but I'm also going to clean out all of the connectors with electrical cleaner. Is there any chance the fuel pump relay could cause this (esp fuel gauge going to zero)?

Thanks,
Matt

Edit: Forgot to mention that I had the battery tested, and it was fine.

Last edited by gatorheel; 11-21-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:30 PM
Rammy1500
Default I feel your pain

Hey Matt,

I have a 2000 Ram 1500. I've had the same problem for months now. Still trying to figure it out. Do you get the "no bus" message on your odometer?

Like you, I've read a lot of threads and gotten a few clues. I replaced my crankshaft position sensor and cleaned up just about every other sensor I could find. Definitely seems related to the ASD relay. I found an article about this that was slightly informative: http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes/sens...-shutdown.html

This is my daily driver. So I am kind of living with unknown potential pit-stops whenever I drive. I have found that when the truck shuts down on me I can reset the computer and the it will run again. I began by unplugging the PCM entirely and then replugging with the key in the on position. Now I've found that I only need to unplug and replug the right-most computer plug. When I do this, the ASD fuse starts buzzing until I replug. Doing this almost always causes my fuel gauge to work again and the truck starts up. The few times that it has not reactivated my fuel gauge there has been also no buzzing noise from the ASD.

So, I don't know. Is the ASD tripping my computer or is it the other way around?

I wish I could be more of a help. I'll update you if I figure this thing out.

Steve

Old 11-21-2011, 04:11 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Maybe the fuel pump is simply going bad. Next time it happens try banging on the fuel tank.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:42 PM
gatorheel
Amateur

Originally Posted by Rammy1500
I have a 2000 Ram 1500. I've had the same problem for months now. Still trying to figure it out. Do you get the "no bus" message on your odometer?
Only once that I've noticed, but I'm certain it's also happened w/o the nobus message. That kind of sums up the problem with this failure-- it's so hard to get it to repeat, it's inconsistent in the exact symptoms, and it doesn't trigger any codes.

This is my daily driver. So I am kind of living with unknown potential pit-stops whenever I drive.
Luckily for me I'm a telecommuter, and we have a 2nd car for my wife, so I don't rely on this truck. But, my dad does use it to trailer his boat, and that's pretty much the worst case scenario: stall while pulling the boat or, worse, on the ramp!

I wish I could be more of a help. I'll update you if I figure this thing out.
Likewise!

Originally Posted by zman17
Maybe the fuel pump is simply going bad. Next time it happens try banging on the fuel tank.
Will do. Will a failed fuel pump cause the gas gauge to read zero? I think that's the key symptom that makes me think it's one of the sensors that can trigger an ASD. That and the fact that I only get this problem when the engine (and compartment) are at operating temp, never when cold.

I replaced the fuel pump relay and confirmed that all of the ground wires are very snug. Will get some contact cleaner and shoot that on to the connectors tomorrow. Guess we'll see how she runs this week.

Matt

Quick Reply: 2000 Ram 5.9L, Stalls, Loses Fuel Level