2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck stalls, check engine light freaks out, with video..

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 10:41 PM
TitanOneSeven
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck stalls, check engine light freaks out, with video..

So I'm having an issue. Truck runs and idles fine. But every once and a while it will stall. If I'm just stopped idling it will just die sometimes, like I turned it off. If I'm driving the engine will either outright die or the engine will quit for a second and then come back and do it a few times and then finally die. The RPMs go from 1200 to zero back to 1200 or whatever I was driving at in less than a second and I loose all power from the engine. The odd thing is the check engine light will flicker when it dies, and I can hear the relays clicking on and off. It's too intermittent to get the truck running when it acts up, but I got a video of the check engine light so you all know I'm not crazy.

After the light stops freaking out it will start right back up. The only trouble code that the computer reads is code 12 - PCM power disconnected within the last 40 key cycles.

Could the computer be messed up? Any way to test it? Just looking for what you guys have to say, I'm going to go back to looking through the wiring diagrams and see if that gives me any ideas.

Thanks for any input! I just don't want to have the truck leave me stranded.

http://youtu.be/KT895lzSKU0

Old 11-28-2011, 11:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

That's kinda bizarre........ But, you knew that.

Check the connections at the pcm, they like to corrode some, and then can do weird things. Not sure if what you are experiencing is one of them, but, good place to start.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:53 AM
Ramzy
Veteran

+1 also check your grounds. Def a weird problem but it sounds like the PCM is losing power intermittently.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:31 PM
TitanOneSeven
Rookie

I pulled the connector off the PCM and it looked good, hit it up with some cleaner just in case. Also looked at the ground (wiring diagrams say the computer grounds under the A/C compressor) and it looked clean as can be, also hit it up with some cleaner too. So I guess I just have to run it and wait to see if it happens again and go from there. I'll keep looking at more connections and whatnot along the power wire for the computer too.

Thanks for the input guys.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:04 PM
TitanOneSeven
Rookie

I know it has been a while but I wanted to do a follow-up.

Turns out the issue was the PCM. There must have been a broken solder point on the board where the connector is. If I grasped the harness and moved it up or down the truck would stall out and the check engine light would flicker. Checked the connector a few times and always came back good. Took the dive and got a PCM out of a wrecked V10. Installed it and it works good. Can't get the truck to stall when I shake the connector.

I wanted to give it a while before I posted anything so I didn't jump the gun and said it was fixed when it wasn't. Thanks again for the support guys, hope I can return the favor soon.

Titan

Last edited by TitanOneSeven; 03-24-2012 at 11:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Truck stalls, check engine light freaks out, with video..