2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Whine/high pitch rumble

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 12:17 AM
iacordero
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whine/high pitch rumble

As of the past month or so, I have been hearing a noise coming from my truck that I can only compare to high speed tire whine. It only happens once I have built up a bit of speed at about half throttle and above.
Example: From a dead stop, accelerating at half throttle, I don't hear it until I get up to about 25-30mph, once I get to that speed, it continues at any speed above that. It does not seem to be related to engine speed, as it does not get any louder at higher RPMs. It's just steady, but it goes away as soon as I take my foot of the gas. It starts again once I step on the gas again even if I'm not accelerating, but just maintaining my speed. I can't even pinpoint whether it's coming from the front or rear of the truck as it sounds as if it were coming from the engine bay when the windows are up, but it seems as if it is coming from the rear end when the windows are down. It doesn't seem to be affecting performance (no more than the performance complaints I've had since before the noise started, anyway), but It's pretty annoying when it constantly sounds like I'm doing 85 on mud tires ALL THE TIME.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:56 AM
Ram_King
Professional

i have the same noise, im thinking its just road noise.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:08 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm wondering if the other person's symptoms are similar?

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...at-whines.html

maybe take a look and see what has been suggested there.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:22 AM
iacordero
Rookie

Ram_King - I do have some actual tire rumble/whine, but the noise I'm talking about is separate from that and it only happens when my foot is on the gas. If I let off, the noise I'm referring to goes away, but I can still hear the tires make a fainter noise. As soon as I step on the gas again (even if im not actually accelerating, but just holding my speed) the louder noise comes right back.
Wh1t3knukle - i did look at that thread, I just saw that the poster didn't mention anything about the noise being related tO the throttle, plus I didn't want to high jack the thread...

Last edited by iacordero; 11-29-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:39 PM
Ram_King
Professional

yeah, thats the same thing my truck does. if you ever do figure out what the problem is let me know

Old 11-29-2011, 09:11 PM
iacordero
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ram_King
yeah, thats the same thing my truck does. if you ever do figure out what the problem is let me know
Likewise. Have you experienced any performance or fuel mileage decreases as a result? It's hard for me to tell because my truck's fuel mileage and performance have been such crap since the day I bought it that I wouldn't know if this is just adding to the misery.

Quick Reply: Whine/high pitch rumble