2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replaced old PCV valve, and oil is still being sucked up ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 11:59 PM
candymancan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crackshot
I still think he needs to use a dental mirror to check for pooling in intake.(or remove throttle body)
These engines have a slope to them and the oil will pool toward the rear and can't see all over inside of manifold just by opening up throttle plates.
I have used a dental mirror, it looks the same on all 4 corners of the pan as it does in the middle and the top well actually the middle has like dust or sand or carbon specs on it or something. Well it did anyway. When i used the seafoam it cleaned up those specs but the pan and everything else still look like they have vegetable oil on it or something.

This is what it looked like before the seafoam, all i see in there front to back were these specs of whatever and that was it. In fact this picture right here your looking at one of the corners and the sides of the pan. See how clean it is ? Its just got that shiny surface to it. Which is why i suspected the PCV is doing that, as the pcv is all wet and oily in the tube and the nipple on the manifold.

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/...HPIM1749-1.jpg

Old 11-30-2011, 12:02 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

From my brief research, I don't think that much oil should be in/near the PCV. The amount of oil, at most, should be vapor level. Just enough to lubricate the PCV. Nothing more. Again, this is purely based on my limited search around.

Factors that point to increased oil content are:

1. Poor oil change intervals --> increased varnish build up ---> sludge builds up readily

2. Oil breaks down, crap settles out and collects about (sludge)

3. Clogs PCV

4. Leakage in the system, unmetered/filtered air

There is supposed to be a baffle that acts like a oil separator prior to the PCV. I haven't pulled mine to see. I have new valve covers and there is a plate right beneath the grommet hole. There are PCV systems out there that have oil separators such that liquid is routed back to the sump. From looks of 2nd Gen, if I'm interpreting correctly, the plate in the VC acts as the separator and so the oil stay in the valve train.

Anyone care to supplement my logic here? The premise is that there shouldn't be any oil within the intake manifold. This would be consistent with the plenum gasket condition check.

Thanks

Old 11-30-2011, 12:07 AM
candymancan
Veteran

I did a test someone told me to do to test the blow by. He said to unhook and plug up the breather, unhook the pcv and plug it. Then leave the hose on the intake manifold, take off the oil cap and start the engine and feal for air coming out. He said some air is normal blow by, and i couldnt even feal anything except tiny amounts being pushed on my arm hairs.

Then he said to hook the pcv back up and do it again and if air pushes out the oil cap then i have bad blow by. I had air sucking in actually.. Good amount of suction, so my blow by aparently is normal.

Anyway i guess im beating a dead horse here, most people probably think its my plenum. I really dont but i guess ill get it changed next year when i can, i dont think its going to fix anything because i dont think its bad. I think my oil is being sucked through the pcv.

The baffles your talking about i thought was the plate which you see in the valve cover which is covering the valve springs.. I did hear tho some of these engines didnt have baffles in the valve covers due to chrysler cutting costs or something ?

Last edited by candymancan; 11-30-2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:11 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

Sorry candy, but when you can...go back and edit your post in a step by step. Not meaning to be harsh, but its reads rough bro.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:13 AM
candymancan
Veteran

I assume you mean the last post. i fixed it

Oh and isnt this the baffle ? You cant see it because of the varnish but there is a metal plate or something, i cant see the rockers in the valve cover because of it. I dunno if the pcv valve has somthing like this

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/...2/HPIM2016.jpg

Last edited by candymancan; 11-30-2011 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:26 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

Yes, that appears to be the baffle plate.

There is one on both sides for my new ones. Here are pics of my new ones for comparison:

Name:  IMG_20111129_212231.jpg
Views: 2610
Size:  77.8 KB

Name:  IMG_20111129_212242.jpg
Views: 2664
Size:  46.7 KB

Old 11-30-2011, 12:30 AM
candymancan
Veteran

Yea mine has one on the oil cap side, but im not sure about the pcv valve. I will check tomorrow.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:40 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Where'd ya get that new PCV? That's one of those parts that really ought to come from the dealership, believe it or not. Not even sourcing them there is a guarantee that every piece is perfect, but your odds of success are much higher.

If you've got a PCV valve that's hung open, it'll draw so much air during high manifold vacuum conditions that fine droplets of oil being flung by the rockers will be drawn into the PCV air stream and will settle out somewhere, primarily in eddy currents downstream of the barb/hose junction and in the manifold itself. The valve cover baffles are there to stop larger droplets from the rockers directly below the baffles, and cannot stop fine droplets that are suspended in the PCV air stream.

If it was mine, I'd just hit the dealership and buy a new valve to see what happens.

EDIT:
Originally Posted by candymancan
I had air sucking in actually.. Good amount of suction, so my blow by aparently is normal.
"Good amount" is probably too much. That new valve is looking mighty suspicious to me just now. It should be barely detectable if it's perceptible at all.

[END EDIT]

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
The premise is that there shouldn't be any oil within the intake manifold.
Good luck finding such an oil-free manifold!

Most folks who drive vehicles with different styles of intake manifolds can't readily see the oil that's in there, and since most have downhill runs from PCV port to intake port of the head and on into the cylinder there won't be much more than staining anyway. We've got broad, flat, horizontally oriented belly pans inside a spacious manifold, so when that PCV air stream reaches it and starts swirling around there are lots of slower-moving eddy currents that will capture the (very light) oil fog and give those fine droplets a chance to succumb to gravity.

Next time you're at a junkyard and not in a hurry, take a peek at any intake manifolds you find lying around. You'll find oil staining under the PCV ports of all of them, even those from newer vehicles that are there due to wrecks rather than from being run until the wheels fell off.

Obsessed with minor trivia? Me? Nahhh...

Last edited by UnregisteredUser; 11-30-2011 at 12:43 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:15 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

Agreed that the PCV should only be purchased from the dealership. This cheap thing has a design specific spring (stiffness) for our engines. Additionally, the pintle shape.

I made my premise knowingly to just offer a reference for discussion/elaborating of this system as it relates to amount of oil within the intake. I am fully expecting to see every vehicle's intake to have the oil varnish sheen to it. This would be the same amount of oil that's carried within the vapors/droplets.

What I meant by the premise was much more content/volume/amount of oil, such that its saturated enough to pool and collect. Because I don't know (yet), are you suggesting that this amount of oil is typical/normal to be in the intake?

Like this:

Name:  IMG_20111121_161023.jpg
Views: 2457
Size:  47.9 KB

Thanks UU!

Old 11-30-2011, 12:59 PM
candymancan
Veteran

Well i think what im going to do is just get a catch can or something to eliminate the oil problem. I just need to figure out how to make one, they dont seem to sell them for the 5.9 anywhere

One guy said to get a fuel filter and put it on the line... I dunno about that but maybe it wouldnt hurt to try and see how much oil is really going up the line

Quick Reply: Replaced old PCV valve, and oil is still being sucked up ?