2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replaced old PCV valve, and oil is still being sucked up ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 01:25 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by candymancan
Well i think what im going to do is just get a catch can or something to eliminate the oil problem. I just need to figure out how to make one, they dont seem to sell them for the 5.9 anywhere
Just zip on over to Home Depot and getcha an air compressor filter like this one (or similar) and some hardware to plumb it in with. Easy peasy and relatively cheap.

That's on my todo list, but the nearest place that stocks those kinds of parts is a hundred miles away so it might be a while before I get around to doing it.

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Because I don't know (yet), are you suggesting that this amount of oil is typical/normal to be in the intake?
It's hard to tell from the photo. If it's kinda damp and mostly baked/baking on, no worries. If it's downright wet over a large-ish area and puddling in the rear corners, worries.

Ya know what this thread really needs? Someone who's done a belly pan replacement, has kept up on PCV valve replacements with dealer parts for a few tens of thousands of miles, and a camera to get a picture of what it ought to look like in there. That'd be worth bookmarking.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:49 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Would this help. Intake was removed from motor @ 175,000km, regular pcv valve replacement(once a year). You can see how the oil pattern matchs up with the pcv inlet.

Edit: If someone can fix that pix it would be great(flash).

Last edited by merc225hp; 11-30-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:51 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Remove your PCV and plug the hole, make sure your oil dipstick has a good ring on it and is fully seated as well. Disconnect the air tube from the air in side on the opposite valve cover.

Plug the hose with your finger..

If it builds up a vacuum; you have a manifold leak...

If it builds up pressure and it blows out at you; its normal.. No leak.. do the test at various temps. Cold and Fully warmed up and hell even after a nice drive...

Old 11-30-2011, 02:09 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Would this help. Intake was removed from motor @ 175,000km, regular pcv valve replacement(once a year). You can see how the oil pattern matchs up with the pcv inlet.
Excellent! That's the stuff right there. Perfectly normal and nothing to worry about, kinda damp and baked on.

Thanks!

(You're okay for a Canuckistani.)

Old 11-30-2011, 03:11 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by candymancan
Well i think what im going to do is just get a catch can or something to eliminate the oil problem. I just need to figure out how to make one, they dont seem to sell them for the 5.9 anywhere

One guy said to get a fuel filter and put it on the line... I dunno about that but maybe it wouldnt hurt to try and see how much oil is really going up the line

Seveeral diffent styles on e-bay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories

Old 11-30-2011, 03:13 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Thank you
On the catch can issue; By removing all the pcv oil vapors are you not taking some of the upper cylinder lubrication and sealing properties out of the motor? You add oil when doing a compression test to help make a better seal between the rings, valve seats; does not the pcv oil vapors work in the same way?

Old 11-30-2011, 03:22 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Excellent! That's the stuff right there. Perfectly normal and nothing to worry about, kinda damp and baked on.

Thanks!

I gather this is distinguishable from a plenum gasket leak condition then?

Thank you
On the catch can issue; By removing all the pcv oil vapors are you not taking some of the upper cylinder lubrication and sealing properties out of the motor? You add oil when doing a compression test to help make a better seal between the rings, valve seats; does not the pcv oil vapors work in the same way?
I believe the location would be:

original
VC ==> PCV == Intake

VC ==> catch can ==> PCV ==> Intake

Apparently this is a common mod for the Hemi doods.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:23 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

does not the pcv oil vapors work in the same way?
Not that I'm aware of. I've never heard it mentioned, anyway.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:28 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

I gather this is distinguishable from a plenum gasket leak condition then?
Yep, most of the time it is. That pattern and consistency of the baked-on crud tells of a normal PCV valve, while a leaking plenum gasket gives you a wetter and generally broader area.

VC ==> catch can ==> PCV ==> Intake
Usually it's PCV -> catch can -> intake manifold.

Quick Reply: Replaced old PCV valve, and oil is still being sucked up ?