2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Handles crappy

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:16 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Handles crappy

Truck just recently started handling like crap. Driving down highway it will randomly dart left or right and about wreck me. everything feels tightp front. also can feel a bump in the steering wheel(like the tires are hitting something and bouncing around). Has a new steering stabilizer.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:37 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by offroadjosh
Truck just recently started handling like crap. Driving down highway it will randomly dart left or right and about wreck me. everything feels tightp front. also can feel a bump in the steering wheel(like the tires are hitting something and bouncing around). Has a new steering stabilizer.
I'm sure not about the "bump in the steering wheel", but my father in law's '88 RamCharger does the exact same thing, suggestion's he's got lead to the power steering box, which does leak a bit too.

Also, I have rode with him and experienced this first hand from the passenger seat, he'll be driving down the road and next thing you know it's pulling you either left or right, usually left first, then you compensate for it, then it throws you even more to the right.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:44 PM
97ramnj
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the bump in the steering could possibly be the joint in the steering shaft from the wheel to the steering box, mine does that to...go under the hood grab the steering shaft and see if it has play in the joint

Old 11-29-2011, 09:29 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker

pretty sure its my steering box slowly dying its been leaking and i finally ran it dry=/

Old 11-29-2011, 10:14 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 97ramnj
the bump in the steering could possibly be the joint in the steering shaft from the wheel to the steering box, mine does that to...go under the hood grab the steering shaft and see if it has play in the joint
Mine did the same till I replaced it with a real nice heavy duty adjustable one from a seller on ebay...it was cheaper than the feable oem one new...go figure.
check the ball joint on the end of your track bar... mine was sloppy there also but you could only see it when someone steered back and forth while watching it closely for play..
Of course if you ran your steering box and pump dry I'd start there

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 11-29-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:18 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 on checking the trackbar. If it has slop, then that would give you the immediate jumps back and forth in addition to the bump steer experience.

In order to do this, it takes 2 ppl. Parked, neutral. Person inside turning lock to lock. Other person on the ground watching the frame side joint of the trackbar. Providing that just in case you didn't know.

Btw -- didn't you have ujoints get replaced or something? I recall you obliterating them like 1/month.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:22 AM
chosos
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have these same symptoms - i just chalked it off as being bias ply tires, seeing as i've replaced nearly everything up front - u joints, ball joints, hubs, adj. trackbar, bushings, etc.

i do have some play in the steering shaft. is that a bad bushing in there? what will minor play there cause?

Old 11-30-2011, 10:35 AM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker

Thanks guys will chck this today if i can(slipped and fell on ice out hunting and tweaked my already messed up back...) Btw will have to post some pics up, was driving around in 2-4ft of snow with my truck! Only got stuck a handful of times with chains on :P

Quick Reply: Handles crappy