2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Possible U-Joint bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 01:14 PM
i mow grass
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible U-Joint bad?

Recently I started hearing a ticking when I am rolling at low speeds. It only does it in 2WD. Several buddies of mine have told me it is the u-joint and was just wanting a second opinion. If that is the problem, has anyone had any problems changing it?

Thanks

Old 12-08-2011, 01:35 PM
MedicNathan
Veteran

Provided you have a U-joint press they aren't bad. Just be careful when you order U-joints as they are all different. To check crawl under and try to spin them all. If one is loose you ve found you're clicking.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:28 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Not always. My right wheel joint would click but the rear shaft was squeaking and I couldn't get any movement out of it. I replaced them anyway, and when I did the bearings were nothing but dust. And no more squeak.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:37 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

My u joint sounded like tin cans tied by string to the rear of the truck and clanking together.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:49 PM
Ramcountryboy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine would squeak and click or tick, however you describe it, also would make the truck "shudder" a little on take off, they were really, REALLY bad though. As for replacing them, it wasn't bad at all, but I had a crappy press that I used, without one it may be a challenge

Old 12-09-2011, 01:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

I use two bricks and a hammer to change u-joints. Quick, painless (usually....) and easy. Took less than 20 minutes to change the front joint in the front shaft. Including R&R the shaft.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:00 PM
i mow grass
Professional

Do y'all have tips on how I could test to see which U-Joints are bad or how to isolate where the problem is? From what it seems like they seem to be the problem. A buddy of mine mentioned something about it that it could be the transfer case but I don't think so, but is there anyway to rule that one out also?

Thanks for all the help

Old 12-11-2011, 03:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Grab 'em and shake 'em. If they are loose at all, they are bad. If they bind at all, they are bad.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:07 PM
i mow grass
Professional

Are you talking about jacking the front end up, grabbing the tire at 12-6 and 3-9 then shake it? Or do I need to take the tire off and physically grab the joints?

Old 12-11-2011, 03:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

You can get your fingers on the joints just be crawling under the truck. No real need to jack it up, just make sure the axle isn't engaged. If you jack it up, and just roll the tire back and forth a bit, while watching the joint, that can tell the tale as well. (and may be more effective....) Turn the wheels a bit, and try and rotate the tire too. (checking for binding, if it gets tough to turn, pry the caliper open a little bit, to make sure it isn't just the brakes dragging some, and spin it again. Binding is bad. Leads to the joint grenading, and taking other stuff with it.

Quick Reply: Possible U-Joint bad?