2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tired of being stuck!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 04:12 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 98MountainRam
I just recently purchased a 98 Ram Sport 4x4. I literally live on a mountain in Eastern KY and this is my daily driver but I do go off-road quite often. I got stuck in a tire rut on a trail last month and since then picked up a set of gently used 33x12.5x15's. And yesterday I found myself stuck again. I haul and use my bed frequently and lifting my truck isn't pratical. My only thought is to get a winch. My stock bumper is bent anyways so I wanted to get a bumper with a winch set-up for me to put a winch in down the road. And budget is very tight any suggestions?

Updated for spelling - thank you hey you!
Since you are in KY, check this thread and contact the guy about the bumper/winch.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/parts-s...ket-parts.html

This would be a good deal...if you know how to check things out. Also, this would be good if you do NOT have a body lift, which seems like something you're fine to avoid.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As for your conditions on getting stuck, consider 2 other things w/o cost: add weight to the bed, and air down the tires. Dependent on the terrain of course and the lines you take....

Old 12-09-2011, 08:57 PM
98MountainRam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering this is my first post I received so many responses I can see I will get a lot of help here and eventually contribute. I think first of the year I will likely try to hunt down a used warn winch and hopefully a bumper too.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:59 PM
98MountainRam

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Since you are in KY, check this thread and contact the guy about the bumper/winch.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/parts-s...ket-parts.html

This would be a good deal...if you know how to check things out. Also, this would be good if you do NOT have a body lift, which seems like something you're fine to avoid.
That is a good deal but out of my price range considering the time of year.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:05 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sometimes it could be as easy as getting new tires. The tires I have on my truck are pretty old and the rubber is hard. That makes for less gripping.

I got my wife Bridgestone APT Duelers and they have DEEP treads but don't look like an aggressive off road tire. They are decent price and have a good warranty. Oh, her car is a RWD yukon (2x4). She has not got stuck i the snow yet.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:59 PM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

I'd like to see what you keep getting stuck in. I've only had mine stuck 2 times in 3 years, one of those was my fault for not first walking line I was taking and I fell into 3ft ruts. Second time was 2ft of barely wet clay and my tires just slicked up the second I hit it and I was up to the door in that **** and water lol.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:37 AM
Catchin Zs
Professional

Superwinch has a new line of winches coming out real soon called tigershark or somethin, saw that a couple weeks ago. Their winches in a test that 4wheeler (I think) came even with warn in almost every category. Might wanna check them out

Old 12-10-2011, 01:15 AM
sparechange

might try going faster, its a lot harder to get stuck

Old 12-10-2011, 01:28 AM
98MountainRam

Originally Posted by 97tn4x4
I'd like to see what you keep getting stuck in. I've only had mine stuck 2 times in 3 years, one of those was my fault for not first walking line I was taking and I fell into 3ft ruts. Second time was 2ft of barely wet clay and my tires just slicked up the second I hit it and I was up to the door in that **** and water lol.
This first time it was on an old logging road and I slipped into a rut after it rained and got hung up on my front suspension. Then yesterday the road in front of my house is at a 45 degree angle and had iced up. I was barely creeping down the hill in 4 low and met a car who got stuck coming up parked and left. So in going around it my tires went in a small ditch and my rear end got hung. I also think I may have and issue with my actuator engaging. I watched my front passenger side tire spin in the mud while the driver sat still. Eventually after rocking it back and forth the driver side tire grabbed and I got out.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:33 AM
chadhager03
Captain

It's not broken it's just an open diff

Quick Reply: Tired of being stuck!