2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need Some Help, If you don't mind

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011 | 06:07 AM
hawkpoint2
|
Default Need Some Help, If you don't mind

I have a 95 Dodge 2500 got the 5.9 Magnum in it with an auto trans. The Problem started this past summer when the exhaust fell off because the guy who had it before me was a retarded and didn't weld worth the crap. As soon as it fell off it ran for a couple of days than just out of the blue started it ran for about 20 to 30 minutes it stalls, cuts out when I push on the throttle it does nothing tile I let off of it and it jumps back up. I've replaced countless O2 Sensors, EGR has been replaced and it still does it all the other sensors are fine and it throw no code. I know the intake gasket needs to be replaced also but I don't know if that would cause such a problem or not. I also have replaced the stock timing chain in sprockets, I don't know if it has anything to do with it but when I pulled the timing cover off the cam timing mark was in a 1 o'clock position while crank was at 12 to I realined the timing marks to 12 put it all back together but that was in February.

I have scowered through this forum looking for the answer, with no luck I've talked to every one I know and every local mechanic I know and the all have no clue, I'm on an extremely tight budget, if I just didn't look in the right place, please show me to where I need to be, but I'm at a lost.

Old 12-10-2011 | 06:49 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Clogged cat maybe? Unscrew the o2 from the pipe and see how it runs.

Old 12-10-2011 | 08:15 AM
redneck_ram
Champion

i say pull the front o2 as well. if she starts your cat is clogged. id say check your crank sensor too. its hard to tell with it being obd1 there is nothing to connect to run any type of diagnostic equiptment.

Old 12-10-2011 | 11:39 AM
hawkpoint2
|

The cat has been gutted before I bought the truck I forgot to include that and it's got one O2 sensor and it'll start with out it and with out the EGR on it

Old 12-10-2011 | 11:45 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

How do you know the other sensors are OK? I'd start by replacing the crank sensor(classic symptoms of a bad one) and cleaning the IAC. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...n-the-iac.html

Old 12-10-2011 | 11:57 AM
1998ram5.9
Veteran

I would do a fuel pressure test or maybe your fuel pump is on its way out. Have you tried unplugging negative batterie cable, and let it sit for a little bit. Also check if any sparkplug wires are grounding out and maybe your coil is something to look at.

Quick Reply: Need Some Help, If you don't mind